Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ChrisJ83Knights
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Johnson

Instant VM Recovery sizing and process

Post by ChrisJ83Knights »

Hi all

Currently planning our next Veeam backup server spec and want to leverage Instant VM Recovery going forward and had the following queries.

I was going to build tier 1 SSDs into the solution and store the most recent backup files on this area with room for growth and also include the vPower NFS Folder in the space requirements, so that we could utilize Instant VM Recovery.

When using Instant VM Recovery is an option to use the Veeam backup server as the target host to restore the VM to?

If so what is the process of then restoring the VM to the production host once the problem had been fixed?

Is this recommended or should we have a free host to be able to restore files to? I would have thought restoring and running them direct from the backup server would be faster.

Any help/advice appreciated.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Instant VM Recovery sizing and process

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Chris,

Did you went through this article for understanding instant VM recovery for Hyper-V? https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
ChrisJ83Knights
Enthusiast

Sorry for the delay in responding, yes I did read the article however I was just wondering if we could utilise the backup server IOPs.

So the Instant VM Recovery would continue to run from the backup server but any changes would be on the target host?

So both would need to be configured with the required IOPs?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Chris,

You would need read on the backup server and read/write on the target host. That is correct
ChrisJ83Knights
Enthusiast

So CPU and RAM is mainly on the target host

Also when running an Instant VM Recovery does the backup file decompress on the backup server?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

No, it runs from the compressed file
Mgamerz
Expert
Liked: 28 times

Post by Mgamerz »

Doesn't Instant Recovery using fixed disks require it to allocate all of the space before it will boot? I have tried to instant recovery a large VM so I could have services up (they would not save changes obviously, but users could access the services as they needed) while a physical host was down. We did not have hardware to allocate it immediately on hand because of its sizing and our budget. I could not boot the VM because it ran out of disk space (we had hundreds of GB free on the host). SureBackup does not seem to have this limitation however, but I don't know why (we had a large VM down for days because of this).