Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pstoric83
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Storic

Can free edition backup Hyper-V VM

Post by pstoric83 »

Looking for an alternative to Windows Server Backup. I want to install Veeam Agent free onto the Hyper-v host, it's a small environment, single server 2012 R2 running Hyper-V and single VM but I wasn't sure I could recover the VM the same I can with Windows Server Backup in case something happens????
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Can free edition backup Hyper-V VM

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi Paul

Yes to the main question - and you have many ways to do this. Let's outline them:

1. You can install Veeam Backup Free Edition (the free edition of Veeam Backup & Replication) and it will do an agentless backup of the VMs on the Hyper-V host. You can add a PowerShell script to schedule the backup jobs. Install Veeam Backup Free Edition on any system - say your desktop PC - and add the Hyper-V host, then do the backup of the VM(s).

2. You can install Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows inside the VM and do backups there with the free edition. Note - I would not recommend installing Veeam Agent for Windows on the Hyper-V host - use the Agent in the VM.

Both have options with free. We have some changes (good changes!) coming to the free edition - so if you need a recommendation - I'd recommend situation #1. But #2 is fine as well.
pstoric83
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Paul Storic

Post by pstoric83 »

Ah ok thanks. I think for this scenario I'll stick with Windows server backup. Thanks for giving me the details. I prefer the single backup on the host at this point.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Paul - I really think you'll be missing out if you don't do one of the 2 options I identified.

For one - you can easily recover guest files, Exchange items, SharePoint items, Active Directory items and more as well as the whole VM with ease. I'd also challenge that #2 and #1 (soon after some planned news) will be far quicker of a backup than the alternative!