Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
lmbutault
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Louis-Marie BUTAULT

Backup copy recommended repository types

Post by lmbutault »

hello,

we are evaluating deduplication appliances for BCJ.
It is ok that Veeam proxy do not support repository on dedup appliances (storeonce, datadomain, ..) for circular backup jobs (primary backups).

But what about backup copy jobs, is the AHV proxy appliance able to restore a VM to AHV from a dedup appliance repository?
Or should it be better done on a windows repository with windows dedup?

regards

Louis-Marie
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Backup copy recommended repository types

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Backup Copy Jobs are really ideal for deduplication appliances, especially if you use it in conjunction with the performance policy of the Scale-Out Backup Repository.

The primary backup job is actually fine going to a deduplication appliance (that is ingest). The issue is pulling data out in a recovery or via any of unique Veeam capabilities - like SureBackup, DataLab, Instant VM Recovery, etc. - the random I/O is rarely handled well. I say rarely as the StoreOnce is actually listed as Veeam Ready in this regard: https://www.veeam.com/kb2151

Here is a recent thread of similar topic: veeam-backup-replication-f2/dell-data-d ... 53780.html
lmbutault
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Louis-Marie BUTAULT

Post by lmbutault »

thanks Rick but all these questions are in an nutanix AHV context and not vmware/hyper-V context.
that might change everything ?

regards

Louis-Marie
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Honestly the main difference there is the source but you are indeed correct that the features I spoke of currently are not available on AHV.

I would follow that guidance really to adhere to the 3-2-1 rule if anything; which could indicate much the same arrangement of a 2-tier backup storage.