Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
SteveDulson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Dulson

Workstation Backups

Post by SteveDulson »

Apologies if this has been asked and answered a dozen times in the forum already, but I've had a quick search and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

So my problem is this. I'm in the process of rolling out Veeam with cloud connect to a number of customers. One of them backs up quite a few workstations so we will be deploying the Veeam agent to them and configuring the backup to point to our cloud connect server.

I have been doing some testing on my own PC to assess the behaviour of these clients, and I'm slightly concerned about my findings thus far.
I set up the backup at the beginning of the week, set the schedule and saw it successfully trigger, however because I have been turning my PC off overnight, I have not been getting a completed full backup. The backup then seems to restart from the beginning the next time my PC is powered on, rather than resuming from where it had previously reached.

The detailed view of a backup in progress. Is currently displaying Local Disk (C:) (236.3GB) 31.5 GB read at 3 MB/s 3:00:10.
This seems very slow to me and would indicate that unless I leave my machine switched on, there is no chance of completing an initial backup.

Have I assessed the situation correctly? Do we just have to leave a machine on and backup up until the first sync is completed?
Is there any way to speed up the seemingly low 3 MB/s read rate, or allow for partially completed backups to be resumed rather than restarted so we can get a full backup over the course of a few days?

Steve
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Workstation Backups

Post by Rick.Vanover »

The system definitely needs to be powered on to get the first backup in successfully - which may take some time over a network to Cloud Connect.

Incrementals will not be the case however, they will go quicker.

Can you ensure it stays on and confirm that increments go quicker? Then it will behave more like what you are expecting.
SteveDulson
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stephen Dulson

Post by SteveDulson »

Hi Rick,

Yeah I'm familiar with the whole incrementals being quicker thing, but I had hoped this was going to work out better than some other competitors for being able to resume backups that were interrupted due to machines being powered off. That way it would be less of an inconvenience to our customers when taking those initial backups.

Right, well I'll have to see how it pans out if I leave it on tonight.

Steve
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

Have looked at the VAW settings to ensure that "Throttle backup activity when systen is busy" is unchecked?