Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

Migration advice to ReFS (Server drive tear-down and rebuild)

Post by Blue407 »

I have a dedicated Veeam Backup server running server 2016.
C: drive is O/S
D: drive is Hyper-V Replicas and Backup Repository
E: drive is Veeam Backup Repository
The D: and E: drives are all part of one drive array (Dell server).

I would like to remove the D: and E partitions and format it all as ReFS and one large partition.

I also backup to tape and to other Repositories, including a Synology NAS.

Whats the best process to export all of my Veeam config, catalog, backup jobs etc and clear out the local repositories and Hyper-v replicas?
I'm happy to remove the local repository backups and hyper-v replicas as I have copies on tape and in another repository.

I then need to re-import this data (as necessary) and just adjust the jobs to use the new single Repository.

Any advice/suggestions gratefully received :)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Migration advice to ReFS (Server drive tear-down and rebuild)

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Paul, you can export replica VMs and then import them back using Hyper-V capabilities. Backup files can be simply copied to some temporary location and then back. Since you're not going to touch system partition, you do not need to do anything with Veeam B&R configuration (just back it up in case something goes wrong). After getting back backups and replicas back to the new partition, rescan them to update configuration and map the jobs accordingly.
Blue407
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Paul Thomas

Post by Blue407 »

I have the VBRCatalog folder on D:

I presume this is the main Veeam Catalog and I will need to copy this elsewhere first?
Just stop all Veeam services first, so that nothing is running?

The local Respository jobs I'm happy to lose. I believe I need to start fresh backups to take advantage of ReFS?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Blue407 wrote: Oct 12, 2018 10:02 amI presume this is the main Veeam Catalog and I will need to copy this elsewhere first?
VBRCatalog folder stores guest OS index files used to search for and restore files within backed up VMs using Enterprise Manager. You can copy it as well.
Blue407 wrote: Oct 12, 2018 10:02 amThe local Respository jobs I'm happy to lose. I believe I need to start fresh backups to take advantage of ReFS?
Yes, active fulls will be required.