Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
L33T
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: V334M

New VM`s always fail VSS

Post by L33T »

Hi,

Whenever we create new vm`s in our hyper-v cluster veeam always fails with the following:

Failed to inject guest runtime using guest interaction proxy, failing over to backup server
Failed to create snapshot (Microsoft CSV Shadow Copy Provider) (mode: Veeam application-aware processing) Details: Unable to perform application-aware processing because connection to the guest could not be established
Error: Unable to perform application-aware processing because connection to the guest could not be established

Any ideas where to start? All hosts and vm`s have been restarted. List writers appears clear with no errors on both host and guest also.

regards,
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: New VM`s always fail VSS

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi L33T

What version of host and guests do you have? (And what version of B&R do you have?).

From the notification, it seems that your gust interaction proxy cannot get a network connection to the VM.
L33T
Enthusiast

Post by L33T »

Hi,

We are running a 2012 R2 cluster host end, 2016 on the veeam host and B&R 9.5 (update 3). Guests are all 2012 R2.

regards,
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

So that means failover to powershell direct cannot work here.

I would start looking in what is different in the network. It seems to me that something is blocking our guest injection. Most likely this could be a firewall or elevation of rights or similar. So what is different between the new VMs versus the old ones.

If you can't find a difference, I would suggest you log a support call. (As always, post the support case ID here and the outcome after investigation of the engineers also)
L33T
Enthusiast

Post by L33T »

Hi,

All vm`s on same network, its just the new ones after build that are affected by this. In terms of networking what can i check to ensure end to end is talking? Is this from hypervisor to guest or veeam to guest?

I will log a ticket in the mean time :)

Regards,
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

veeam to guest. (So either the guest interaction proxy server or the B&R server depending on your deployment)