Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
toddehb
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Todde

Restoring 1 single file?

Post by toddehb »

Hi,

I new to Veeam and testing out the features. In B&R 9.5 Console I added a job for backing up a single VM. I enabled file indexing, so it would be able to not just recover the whole VM, rather single files too. When starting the recovery wizard I cannot find any option to browse the files. It is only be possible to select Windows Files in general, which I suppose means to revover all files. Am I missing something?

Ciao, toddehb
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Restoring 1 single file?

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Todde and welcome to the community!

You should choose Guest files (MS Windows) in the wizard, then the browser will appear for you to search necessary files or folders for recovery.
You can review the article in the User Guide for additional information. Thanks!
toddehb
Influencer

Post by toddehb »

Hi,

ok, but if I understand the menu right it only works when the backup is realized throught the backup agent? On my VM VM client tehre is no agent installed. DO I need to to recover single files?

ciao, toddehb
toddehb
Influencer

Post by toddehb »

following the the article from your link, there should be under HOME->Disks a menu showing (right click on the disk) which should let me restore files. Unfortunatly I cannot post any screenshots to show you. This option is missing. I am really confused.
toddehb
Influencer

Post by toddehb »

Ok, I found this now, but there is no file browser popping up or any option to select an individual file.
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

You can upload a screenshot on any free hosting like gfycat and share it.
Please take a look at File-Level Restore Scenarios here. Thanks!
toddehb
Influencer

Post by toddehb »

DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

You are in the right direction, the chosen restore point should be mounted and file explorer should appear after you click finish.
toddehb
Influencer

Post by toddehb »

Thanks. I suppuoe I was not patient enough to click finish and wait
RoamScott
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by RoamScott » 1 person likes this post

This is TERRIBLE design. I searched for a while before finding a internet post from 4 years ago with the exact same problem and exact same solution. Any user in their right mind would make the same assumption that OP did here. The wizard makes it seem as if it is going to restore ALL files.

If a solution to a problem ever uses the words "Click Finish then" there is something wrong. Finish is the end.

This terrified me the first time I validated it, but sure enough, after clicking "Finish" you are presented with a dialog which allows you to choose the files you want to restore.

Please, Veeam, please, please consider revising this process.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I understand your concern, but right in the same step description it states "click Finish to exit the wizard and open Backup Browser, where you will be able to select the files to restore". It might be confusing to those who don't read descriptions (like I do myself most of the time), but in case of confusion description is the first place I would look at for clarification. Anyway, thanks for the feedback, there's always a room for improvement.
RoamScott
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by RoamScott »

I see what you are saying, but the problem is that I didn't know I was confused so I didn't look deeper. I was convinced that clicking Finish would restore everything from the selected point because that's what the workflow implies. Words like "Summary" and "Finish" are not ambiguous and generally don't require further reading.