Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
terryt@pksound.ca
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Terry T

Rebuild VBM without VBR (Veeam Agent for Windows only)

Post by terryt@pksound.ca »

I see the Powershell script that can rebuild a VBM file from VBK, VIB files, but it requires a Veeam Backup & Restore installation.
Is there any way to rebuild a VBM file without a Veeam Backup & Restore installation (Veeam Agent for Windows only)?

I reset my Veeam Agent for Windows database on my home computer and I want to get files from a previous VBK full backup but now I can't because the VBM file is gone. I have a licensed VBR installation at work. Can I take my home VBK/VIB files into work and do it there?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Rebuild VBM without VBR (Veeam Agent for Windows only)

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Terry.

Veeam Agent for Windows cannot rebuild the vbm file. You should import your backup to your Veeam B&R server in order to perform restore from vbk. Thanks.
pj1220
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

[MERGED] Re: Wish - a simple tool to recreate missing vbm files

Post by pj1220 »

I use VAW 2.2.0.589 Free in a win10/64bit environment. Using powershell and scripts is beyond my capabilities. I'd rather like to have a tool to (re)generate a vbm from a selection of a) a single vbk or b) a vbk and selected vib files.

Thanks

PS Sorry if this is the wrong place to post my wish
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

pj1220,

Thank you for your request. May I ask why vbm was lost? Was it corrupted or accidentally deleted? Cheers!
pj1220
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by pj1220 »

Hi Dima,

Thanks for caring. One VBM was deleted because of user stupidness (actually my stupidity). Furthermore I plan to stash away some VBK files on an external drive for the future. I am not sure if this will work when I only write away the VBK (plus or minus) the VBM but omit the VIB files. Reason for doing it that way is my backup strategy: VAW runs infinite incremental backups with a retention period of 14 days with no additional full backups. Soo I really do not know if writing away the VBK plus the VBM will make sense, as the VBM will contain information of then non existent VIB files.

TIA
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

pj1220,

vbm is required anyway, as it contains meta information not only for incremental backups but for full backup as well. If you want to create a secondary copy - I'd recommend to use backup full to a different location functionality to create an independent full backup to a usb drive.