Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
marius roma
Veteran
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Mario

Migrating P2V and licensing

Post by marius roma »

I plan to migrate an existing Veeam B&R 9.0 server based on a physical server to a new B&R 9.5 server hosted by a VM.
The B&R server have licenses for about 20 CPU sockets.
To install B&R on the VM I need to provide a license.
For obvous reasons I won't dismiss the physical server until the whole of the Installation and migration process is complete.
Whati is the right way to configure the license in compliance with Veeam Licensing?
  • Can I request and use a demo license? How many CPUs are covered? How long can I use the demo license?
  • Can I use the same license file used by the phiysical server?
  • Can I install the new server in any kind of evaluation mode without a license?
Regards
marius
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Migrating P2V and licensing

Post by veremin »

It's better to discuss license-related questions with your sales representative. However, I believe it should be supported to share one license between two product installations for the duration of transition period. Thanks!
csydas
Expert
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Harvey Carel

Post by csydas »

A greenposter can correct me if I'm wrong, but the license should only consume a socket if there is a host being used -- re-using the same license on another Veeam Server is __technically__ against the rules, but no one is really harmed, no?

So I think you're golden with just reusing the same license since the same hosts would be utilized, unless a Greenposter is here to say otherwise.

fwiw, I've had really good experiences asking for migration licenses even for situations like this.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Harvey is correct, using the same license is possible in a migration scenario.