Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
THZBS
Novice
Liked: never

Backup to a Shared Folder not working (Win 10 1809)

Post by THZBS »

Hello

I have Windows 10 1809.

Before this version I was able to select a shared folder which is a USB drive connected my ISP's router, like '\\192.168.1.1\Drive_Name'.
Under credentials I had to enter user name and password for the router.
Since v1809 I cannot access this drive in Veeam Agent any more. When I click on 'populate' I get an error, too.

Does anybody have an idea?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backup to a Shared Folder not working (Win 10 1809)

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey THZBS,

A guess here, but with 1809 there is a bunch of additional security that came in play. It might be that this version (even when it is an upgrade) has blocked certain items. Did you verify if (for example) the firewall settings are still correct?

Can you manually connect to the share (and login with username and password?)
THZBS
Novice

Post by THZBS »

Hey Mike

thank you. Yes, I checked the firewall settings, they are correct. It happens on 2 different computers, and only since upgrading to 1809.
I can connect to the share manually, no problem.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

The documentation states that we are supported until 1803 but there is nothing in my mind what could cause this, certainly if the security settings are the same.

I suggest you create a support call so the engineers can see what exactly is being blocked in the logs. Post the case ID here and after research with the engineers the outcome also. Might be something really small but in that case it can help others also

Thanks
Mike
THZBS
Novice

Post by THZBS »

Here is the error message that I get when I enter my credentials and click on Next:
A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been terminated.
I already followed the instructions here, but it remains the same.
THZBS
Novice

Post by THZBS »

Found it out by myself! Had to take a lot of steps, as the affected computer has been formerly connected to a domain/server, but has now left the domain.

1 - In gpedit.msc I had to change Windows Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> "Network access: Do not allow storage of passwords and credentials for network authentication" -> change from enabled to disabled (had enabled this before for easier server remotedesktop access)
2 - In Windows Credentials - added Windows login credentials for the Router (192.168.1.1) with user name and password
3 - In Network settings my network was set to public - had to change it to private and allow network discovery.

Now it's working...
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Wow!

That is indeed some good investigation and work that you needed to do to get it running. Thanks for letting us know. To be honest, I am surprised that this wasn't adapted after leaving the domain. Good to know
THZBS
Novice

Post by THZBS »

Yes, I'm really glad that it works, and for having found the solution :D . But anyway, the problem came with update 1809. I left the domain before installing update 1809.