Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Jethron
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jed Sackett

Separate server needed for Proxy?

Post by Jethron »

We are moving our mail to O365, as such I am installing Veeam's O365 product. Looks like I need to keep my Veeam B&R 9.5 u3a environment separate from the Veeam O365 stuff. Our mail environment is quite small (less than 140 mailboxes, most of which are less than 3GB in size), may I use the Veeam O365 server as a proxy as well (by default it is one anyway).......don't think there will be enough overhead to justify another VM. Also, we will use the "forever" retention policy. Is there a "Veeam sponsored" storage calculator so I can figure out a ballpark? Our database is 430GB, so we don't use mail a whole lot.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: Separate server needed for Proxy?

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi Jed - you can have Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 installed on the same system as Veeam Backup & Replication. It is explained here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=20

That being said... I, myself, would go separate in terms of installations as I feel it more flexible and portable. And note that non-server OSes are supported.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jed,

In addition with what Rick said, retention is different in Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 compared to Veeam Backup & Replication. You will decide on the retention range and every item with a modified date younger than this data will be protected. It is always a full first, and then changes otherwise.
Jethron
Influencer

Post by Jethron »

My bad, I didn't ask the question correctly. I am keeping the 2 applications separate, I have Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 on it's own server and it will use its own storage. I want to know if it is OK\supported to use that same "Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 "server as the Proxy as well since I will only backup 130 mailboxes. Regarding Retention, I see a "Keep forever" option when setting up the repository, specifically the "Specify retention policy". So, the first backup will get everything for all mailboxes.......in 10 years from now if I need to restore an email (and it was present during the time of the backup somewhere in the mailbox) then I can do it.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler » 1 person likes this post

Yeah, that's no problem. We see a single VBO server as a standard installation and with 130 mailboxes it should not be an issue.

And for the retention: Correct
Jethron
Influencer

Post by Jethron »

OK, and from what I've read a storage calculator is a bit of a pipe dream due to all of the different possibilities for each customer (retention, size, change rate, etc.). I will start with 4TB of space and just expand if needed.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jed,

From my experience, I kind of would go with 10 TB of space to start with. We don't monitor the available space and the repository (Jet DB) can grow to 64 TB so you would need to monitor everything yourself. We do notice with Exchange Online (or simply mail) that having a 3TB store today might not grow fast to 4TB in exchange online but due to the nature of deleting/ moving and handling mail, the actual churn is rather high
Jethron
Influencer

Post by Jethron »

Thank you for the great insight. You can consider this thread answered or closed?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

No worries Jed, always a pleasure.

(And we don't have a system in place (yet?)) for answered/ closed threads so ;-))