Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
matthewingram
Influencer
Liked: never

Nimble hybrid flash as backup repo

Post by matthewingram »

Hi,

Is anyone using a Nimble hybrid flash array as the storage for their backup repository? I am looking for experiences, performance and data reduction rates.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Nimble hybrid flash as backup repo

Post by Gostev »

Hi, I know of one major Veeam Cloud Connect service providers who does that at scale. They are able to justify the premium cost because storage snapshots provide sort of an air-gap. They are pretty happy with it, I have not heard any complaints. Thanks!
matthewingram
Influencer

Post by matthewingram »

Thank you for the response. I see the value when using the Nimble platform as the primary storage, but I'm trying to determine the cost and performance effectiveness of using it as ReFS repository. Comparing it to something like Exagrid. They provide general guidelines on data reduction rates for general workloads but I haven't been able to find anything for data reduction rates for backup jobs only.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Just to clarify, I was talking about backup storage use case specifically in my first response (not primary storage).
matthewingram
Influencer

Post by matthewingram »

Are you able to provide any input on the veeam job settings in reguard to dedup and compression and also the effective reduction rates seen on the array?
brlomba1
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by brlomba1 » 1 person likes this post

We use the nimble SF100 for our repositories and it works well. Extremely easy to setup and support is absolutely phenomenal. There isn't a better support option out there. 74 TiB consumed. Dedupe 170TiB, 16TiB compression savings. We also have a nimble for our production array so there are a lot of options when configuring backups.