Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
JoshuahHTech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joshua Hunter

Backup Workstations to repository on server they dont have access to

Post by JoshuahHTech »

Hi all,
I'm Currently working on a backup solution for the windows workstations at my office. Usually I would just be able to use VAW pointing to a repo on the backup server that we use for our VM's.

The problem is, for security reasons this server is on a completely separate VLAN with no regular routing from the main LAN (that the workstations are on) to the backup VLAN. However, the backup VLAN has routing to the regular LAN, so if it were to initiate and control the backup it would probably be successful.

I know that VAW uses the agents installed on the end workstations to do the work for the backup and thus cannot access the repository.
My question is, is there any way with VAW or otherwise to get these backups working WITHOUT routing from the LAN to the backup VLAN

Thanks in advance,
Josh
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup Workstations to repository on server they dont have access to

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Josh and welcome to the community!

Have you thought about creating another repository in the main LAN for the agent backups? Thanks!
JoshuahHTech
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Joshua Hunter

Post by JoshuahHTech »

I've tried this, It doesn't work and I think I know why;
The backup job fails before the agent even attempts to start copying any files as it cannot get the configuration of the backup from the Veeam backup and replicate server (not sure if i was specific enough in my original post, we use Veeam backup and replicate for our VM's for a daily backup and copying this onto tape, so we're trying to centralise our backup to this server by having it manage the agents too)

So the problem is that the agents cant get the backup configuration from the server as there is no routing between the two LANs (quite deliberately). I guess one way to get around this is to enable routing for just the port that backup and replication is using to manage the agents (10005 I think)
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

I think that's a good idea to establish both way connection, also take a look on the port requirements here (there is another port 6184 for connection from VBR to VAW). Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Joshua,

Aside from ports please make sure that Veeam B&R host name can be correctly resolved from the client side (machine where agent is installed), as otherwise such agent cannot communicate with Veeam B&R server. Cheers!