Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Jethron
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jed Sackett

Continue Exchange On-Prem Veeam Backups

Post by Jethron »

I use VB&R 9.5 update 3a and backup my on-prem Exchange 2010 server. We are moving our mail to O365 in a few weeks and will be in a Hybrid Exchange environment (no mailboxes will reside on the on-prem server though once we are done). Once complete we will remove the Exchange 2010 server and replace it with Exchange 2016 and stay hybrid (it will make things easier for stuff like mail relay, etc.). Anyway, is there any real advantage to backing up the on-prem Exchange 2016 server with "Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365"? If not I'd like to stick with using VB&R for the on-prem Exchange 2016 server so I can continue using the 321 rule. We will use "Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365" for the O365 stuff.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Continue Exchange On-Prem Veeam Backups

Post by Mike Resseler »

Jed,

In your case not really since Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 (VBO) won't protect the config. It will only protect data and having VBO in a hybrid setup is when you have (for example) your archives on-prem and mailboxes online (or vice versa). So I would indeed advise you to use your way of working.

Unless you will be using a journaling inbox on-prem. But even in that case you can continue to use your way of working, and point that one journal mailbox to VBO also