Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Magictrain
Lurker
Liked: never

Netware File Restores

Post by Magictrain »

Is there any chance that file level restore for the Netware file system will be implemented in the future. We have a large number of Virtual Netware servers and this functionallity would be a massive bonus for us.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Netware File Restores

Post by Gostev »

Hello, please let me know what file system exactly do you use on your Netware servers.
Thanks!
Jordack
Novice

Post by Jordack »

NetWare uses NSS which if far superior to NTFS (no im not bias). Personally I wouldn't put any efforts into NetWare as even Novell is phasing it out. I had 15 NetWare servers and now I'm down to two and one is getting turned off in a week.

But, you can also use NSS on Linux, providing you purchase OES license from Novell.

http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes ... 0i3h5.html
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

I heard that Netware also uses NWFS, which is why I asked.
Jordack, are you saying that it is not possible to read NSS volumes from Linux machines unless you purchase the OES license?
Magictrain
Lurker

Post by Magictrain »

Thanks for replies, we are using Netware 6.5 SP7 with NSS volumes.

Unfortunately we are not in a position to move away from Netware in the near future.
itec
Lurker

Post by itec »

NSS support would be really useful along with linux file systems like EXT3 and reiserFS.

Tho one suggestion, instead of you guys having to make your file manager (Backup Browser) understand all these file systems could you not write it so Windows would see this as a normal disk. A bit like a ISO mount program or adding a USB disk.

Then we could use normal tools to read the contains of the disk. You wouldnt have to support 100s of file systems. Portlock provider a windows app which can mouth and read NSS volumes and you can find programs for reading linux file systems in Windows.

Adam
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

Post by spgsit5upport »

And not a single reply to a perfectly valid suggestion from developers for more than a YEAR

Seb
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

There is adjacent topic on the same subject where I have provided reply yesterday: NSS Volumes
Also in this topic a few months ago: Backup and Novell
jgremillion
Enthusiast
Full Name: Joe Gremillion

Post by jgremillion »

Novell is not supporting NetWare on the old Netware anymore (support stopped in March). They are OES (Open Enterprise System) on Suse now. We switched from Novell about 6 - 7 months ago because there were very few companies supporting anything on NetWare.
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

Post by spgsit5upport »

jgremillion, how does this fact affect the need to restore from NSS volumes?
OES 2 Linux still uses the very same (by far superior) file system, so the restore is also impossible with Veeam

Seb
jgremillion
Enthusiast
Full Name: Joe Gremillion

Post by jgremillion »

I agree NSS is far superior as was Netware (I believe NetWare 5.1 was the best OS ever), but nobody supports (make applications) for NetWare/NSS/OES. It's pretty much been religated to a niche market. The only business that us NetWare around here (as far as I know) is the K-12 space.

-Joe