Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kapple
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ken Applebaum

Scheduling Sure Backup jobs when tape jobs are running

Post by kapple »

Hi,

We are running Veeam 9.5 & vSphere 6.5.
We currently backup all VMs using forward incrementals. Backups run Monday through Friday. Additionally, an active full backup runs on the last Friday of each month. Production VMs keep 30 restore points, and dev/test VMs keep 14 restore points.

We have multiple jobs, each with multiple VMs being backed up. The largest job currently backs up 59 VMs. The job with the largest disks is 7.4 TB (scheduled to backup only this VM).

There is a secondary target for all backup jobs, which is a backup to tape job. This places full backups in GFS media pools.
Tape backup jobs run weekly on Saturdays. If I am understanding how Veeam tape backups work, Veeam creates virtual full backups for tape on the weeks that an active full is not scheduled to be created. On that last backup of the month, Veeam will just backup the active full, rather than create a virtual full, correct?

Here is the meat of my questions. We are going to implement Sure Backup, Virtual Lab and application groups in order to verify backups, and for sandbox testing.

From all I have read, you can chain the Sure Backup job with the disk based backup, which makes sense. This is so the source job finishes before the Sure backup job runs. My concern is that there does not appear to be a way to chain a Sure Backup job with the tape job.

If a Sure Backup job is chained to the backup to disk job, how does this affect the tape job? Will Veeam not kick off the job specified as the secondary target (tape) until the chained (Sure Backup) job finishes? If not, does the Sure Backup job affect the secondary backup job (to tape)? As we configure this, I want to assure that we are scheduling the various jobs appropriately, so that we do not run into unexpected errors due to backup files being in use at the same time by the tape and Sure Backup job.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Scheduling Sure Backup jobs when tape jobs are running

Post by foggy »

Hi Ken, I believe since both SureBackup and tape jobs need read-only access to backup files, they should be able to work in parallel.
kapple
Enthusiast

Post by kapple »

Thanks for the information Alexander. So I could chain the sure backup job, and still have the secondary backup target as a tape job, without being concerned about when the tape job runs or ends.
As long as our b/u storage can handle the I/O, do you have any thoughts regarding how the Sure Backup job would affect the processing speed of the tape job?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

It shouldn't affect it other than in terms of I/O.
kapple
Enthusiast

Post by kapple »

Thanks again!