Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
stgepopp
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Erich Popp

Replication with excluded harddisks

Post by stgepopp »

Hi,

is anybody using this approach?

I came accross this during a review and found that replication is creating a target vm with non-excluded harddisks only. From my point of view it would be a good idea to provide a check box to include the harddisk configuration (in target-vm.vmx) on target vm (similar to backup job with harddisk exclusion).

Erich
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Replication with excluded harddisks

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Erich,

Can you tell us more why you believe it is a good idea? The way I see it is that you want to start your replica (as soon as possible) and not having that disk on the target side most likely would let the VM fail to start. But what is your scenario in this case?
stgepopp
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Erich Popp

Post by stgepopp »

Hi Mike,

the need is to have a complete replica VM configuration (including excluded harddisk settings). After starting the replica, additional data (on excluded harddisks) will be recovered differently. In this use case the harddisks on the original VM are set to independent (to prevent VMware Snapshots).

In general i know that for most job settings users have mostly some options to select between, but in above case there's no option and i guess that this has been never requested or simple forgotten.

Erich
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

After starting the replica, additional data (on excluded harddisks) will be recovered differently.
Then replica should at least have an empty disk attached, since it will not start otherwise.