Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
RichardSwart
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Richard Swart

[Feature Request] Backup Copy to Cloud Connect Repository

Post by RichardSwart »

Simple Scenario:

1 Physical server, backing up to locally attached storage which then needs to run a copy job to a Cloud Connect repository.

VBR does this perfectly and I cant see why VAW cant have the same functionality.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: [Feature Request] Backup Copy to Cloud Connect Repository

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Richard.

Let's say VAW supports two jobs: one pointed to local storage and another to Cloud Connect repository. Will such functionality address your case? Thanks!
RichardSwart
Novice
Full Name: Richard Swart

Post by RichardSwart »

I guess so, however a backup copy job would be better as you would only have one set of backup images.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Noted, thanks for the heads up!
iknowtech
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Jason Brantley

Post by iknowtech »

Another frustration that this is something that needs to go in as a feature request, I think I may have been mislead that Veeam was a good solution for SMB market, but I'm starting to think maybe not? Won't most people using the Veeam Agent for Windows want to be doing both local and offsite backups simultaneously, aren't we trying to encourage the 3-2-1 rule, and selling Cloud connect licensing.

Running two completely separate backup jobs requires using unnecessary computing resources, takes more time than should be required, and as was already mentioned you end up with two different sets of backup files, which seems completely unnecessary.

There should be an easy way to setup a local backup, with an option to continue the configuration and have the backups copied to a Cloud Connect location. This should all be easily configurable in a VAC policy.

Maybe my VCSP aspirations for my SMB customers were a bit premature?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jason,

It's not required to run two jobs in parallel - you can setup one job to run after another to get a secondary copy of your data. Would that work for your case?
Mattk03
Service Provider
Full Name: Matt Kozik

Post by Mattk03 »

I'm actually running into this issue right now.

Customer wants their physical DC to backup to their local NAS, then to the cloud. As it stands today I am backing up to the Cloud and would need to do a manual full backup to their NAS and doing a full copy everyday is going to eat through the repository pretty quick.

Are you saying I can setup a second instance of Veeam Agent and point it to the local repository and tell it to run at a different time?

Edit:

So, there's an option to "Add New Job", select this and point it to the local repository, then do it again point it to cloud. The feature already exists it looks like.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

You can use single agent instance licensed as Server mode as it allows creating multiple backup jobs. To change the license from workstation to server go to the about tab of the agent UI or, if agent is managed by VAC, you should change the license to server via VAC console.
iknowtech
Service Provider

Post by iknowtech »

Dima P. wrote: Jul 26, 2019 10:46 am Hello Jason,

It's not required to run two jobs in parallel - you can setup one job to run after another to get a secondary copy of your data. Would that work for your case?
Hi Dima,

Yes, I'm running the two jobs separately on different schedules. Its not ideal as presumably taking two backups is more resource intensive, requires more administrative overhead (separately verifying two different sets of backups), etc. Would be much preferable to be able to setup a local backup then have the wizard provide to keep in Cloud Connect. Hopefully you'll consider this for a future release.
cathym
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Cathy Miron

Post by cathym »

+1 vote for a seamless single VAW job that will write the backup to local storage, and allow automatic "backup copy" of that same image to VCC. I understand you can do this today in Server edition, but that it requires 2 separate backup jobs... which as @iknowtech points out, is not efficient with production system resources and creates extra administrative overhead to manage.
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 » 1 person likes this post

you can use vbr as target repository and from there you can copy to vcc. et voilà
iknowtech
Service Provider

Post by iknowtech » 1 person likes this post

you can use vbr as target repository and from there you can copy to vcc. et voilà
Yes, but this assumes your using VBR for the local backups. If you're simply using the Windows Agent and backing up directly to local attached storage and using Cloud Connect for offsite is when the requested functionality is needed.