Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times

Recommended replication settings?

Post by Yuki »

Hi,
I would like to replicate our VMs from one stand-alone ESXi (primary ) to another ESXi host (stand-by). We are using local storage on these servers.

What would be best for our scenario to minimize time/traffic from the replication job?
1) In advanced options - shell we use compression or not ? It seems that since we are replicating and not backing up, then using compression doesn't make sense.
2) In advanced options - shell we specify Local Target instead of LAN ?
3) Shell we use "Deduplication"? Does it have any effect on the replication jobs (we are only keeping 2 restore points)
4) In advanced options of replication job - there is an "E-mail notification" configuration - how is it different from the global e-mail notification config?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Recommended replication settings?

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

1,3. Up to you. Compression and deduplication still applies to rollbacks in case of replication, thus allowing to save some space.
2. Sure.
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Yuki »

I would like to request an inclusion of the backup file name that was created in the reports (HTML and e-mail). This would help us track and account for all files.

Should be easy to implement :)
Yuki
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Yuki »

I'm having an issue with reverse incremental backups:

Veeam console shows 3 restore points and says there should be 3 backup files (1 full and two reverse incremental) but we only have 1 full and one reverse incremental. Yet the file status shows that everything is OK.

What am I missing?

Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hard to guess from the above information alone. Please reach out to our support for investigation (best thing to do with any technical issue at all). Thanks.