Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ShonGail
Novice
Liked: never

Warning about application-aware processing of Oracle Database

Post by ShonGail »

Hi,

Backup jobs of VMs with Oracle Database give a warning :

Code: Select all

"Unable to perform application-aware processing of Oracle database (SID: XXX) : Oracle error has occurred. ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
--tr:Failed to create oracle session.
--tr:Failed to create oracle session holder. SID: XXX.  
"
Into processing settings, I set "Perform copy only (lets another Application use logs).
If i don't care about Oracle aware processing, should I also set this:

Added ability to disable Oracle processing without having to disable application-aware processing for the rest of applications running on the same VM. To enables this behavior, create DisableOracleProcessing (DWORD) registry value under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Backup and Replication key on the processed VM.

No way to handle this at the backup settings ?

Thank you.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Warning about application-aware processing of Oracle Database

Post by wishr »

Hi Shon,

Even with "Perform copy only" option ticked Veeam B&R changes the state of the database to make Oracle DB backup consistent - that's why authentication is required. Yes, the t-logs will not be touched at all, but the database itself will be. This behavior is forced by the "Enable Application-aware processing" option that is universal - it affects all the supported applications detected on a VM. Since there a small chance that there may be other applications apart from Oracle DB running on a VM and you may require to back them up with Application-aware processing approach in order to make their backups consistent we've decided to start supporting particular applications exclusions. Currently, this can be done only by creating a reg. key, because otherwise, you'll require to globally disable the AAIP itself in the general settings on the "Guest Processing" step (that will disable AAIP for all supported applications running on a VM as mentioned above).

Please note, that the only single case coming to my mind when you require to use this reg. key is the usage of a third-party tool for making Oracle DB backups. There is no guarantee that you'll be able to start/use the DB instance restored from a backup with disabled Oracle AAIP. Please consider using this option very carefully.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
Fedor
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Warning about application-aware processing of Oracle Database

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Here is the KB Fedor spoke about https://www.veeam.com/de/kb2110