Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
marieelieg
Expert
Liked: 8 times

Tape getting full and backup not re-using same tape

Post by marieelieg »

Hello experts,

I have VBR 9.5 U3a installed that is taking daily backups to disk. Also I have daily backups to tape that take place after the disk backups.
I have 5 Media pools configured each with 1 tape: "Media Pool - Monday", "Media Pool - Tuesday", "Media Pool - Wednesday", "Media Pool - Thursday", "Media Pool - Friday". On Mondays, backup to tape to "Media Pool - Monday" is done. On Tuesdays, backup to tape to "Media Pool - Monday" is done. And so on.

Next Monday, Veeam should re-use the same tape in "Media Pool - Monday". Same for Tuesdays and so on.
Now I have configured the retention in the Media Pools to 5 days so that the tapes expire before next backup.
Even with this configuration, Veeam is writing the new backup next to the old one, the tape becomes full and the job keeps waiting for another tape.

What I want is Veeam to re-use the same tape each week. I want Veeam to write the next backup in place of the old one and not next to it.

Is there a way to achieve this automatically, without the need to manually "Mark as free" the required tape before each backup?

Awaiting your feedback and thanking you in advance!!

Have a nice day!
mheinoja
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: Tape getting full and backup not re-using same tape

Post by mheinoja »

Hi there,

Check your media set settings. My guess "Do not create, always continue using current media set" i checked?

Mikko
marieelieg
Expert

Post by marieelieg »

Hi Mikko,

Yes "Do not create, always continue using current media set" is checked.
If I switch to "Create new media set for every backup session", will that solve my issue?

Thank you in advance!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello marieelieg.

Try to use the following settings on your media pools:

1. 'Create new media set for every backup session' for media set.
2. 'Do not protect data (cyclically overwrite tapes as required)' for retention.

With this settings Monday tape becomes 'sealed' and next week will be overwritten according to the retention. Cheers!
marieelieg
Expert

Post by marieelieg »

Thanks Dima for your help!