Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
user2
Novice
Liked: 1 time

How to restore a Linux VM to a Virtual Lab

Post by user2 »

I'm new to Veeam and i'm currently trying to understand how to restore a Linux VM. I've figured out how to use Surebackup with Windows servers but i'm not able to do the same with a Linux backup. When I go to configure a Surebackup job, i'm not able to add my linux vm into an application group, it just doesn't show up in the list.
My Linux VM is running CentOS 7.5 and has the Veeam Linux agent installed.

What is the process of restoring a Linux VM? Ideally i'd like to test this with a restore into a currently existing Virtual Lab inside my VMWare environment.
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: How to restore a Linux VM to a Virtual Lab

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi User2, is the Linux system backed up with Veeam Agent for Linux? If so, it is not supported for virtual lab use.

The virtual lab is for VMware and Hyper-V VMs backed up (or replicas and array snapshots for select VMware configurations) by Veeam Backup & Replication. I realize this may come about as a confusion now that Agents can be managed in B&R.
user2
Novice

Post by user2 »

Yes, the VM is backed up with the Linux Agent. The Linux VM is running MySQL 5.7 and I need to run the pre and post thaw scripts in order to have a consistent DB backup as far as I understand. Do I have another option?
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Post by Rick.Vanover »

You can do the scripts with Veeam Backup & Replication also. Is the system a VM?
user2
Novice

Post by user2 »

Yes, this Linux system is a VM running on a ESXi 6.5 host.
user2
Novice

Post by user2 » 1 person likes this post

Ok, so i've realized that I don't need to use the Linux Agent since this is a VM. From what i've found, the Agent is intended to be used for physical servers.
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

user2 wrote: Oct 24, 2018 3:32 am Ok, so i've realized that I don't need to use the Linux Agent since this is a VM. From what i've found, the Agent is intended to be used for physical servers.
Hi,

Correct, It would be easier to use B&R to centrally manage VM backup jobs and run scripts to make the MySQL backups consistent.