Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
sogapex
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Repeated backup

Post by sogapex »

Hello,

I think we can consider this as a problem :
On one PC, VAW (Veeam Agent for Windows) has a scheduled backup at 13h20
There is also the option "backup when the PC is locked" checked up
And "no more than one backup every 2 hours"

If the user lock its PC at 13h00, I get 2 backups. One at 13h00 and one at 13h20

Is it a "wanted" feature ?

Regards,
Michel Dorge
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Repeated backup

Post by DGrinev »

Hello,

That's expected behavior, as it stated in the User Guide:
"The Back up no more often than every <N> <time units> option is applied only to job sessions started at specific events. Daily backups are performed according to defined schedule regardless of the time interval specified for this setting."
sogapex
Enthusiast

Post by sogapex »

ok. It could be a good idea to allow us to choose if the Schedule task should be run or not in such case.
Indeed, in my case, I want to get one backup between 12:30 and 14:00 => by setting up a daily backup and a "lock" event backup, for some users I get most of the time 2 backup in a short period of time.

Data retention period is then highly variable => for some users, I can get only one week and for others a full month
Nothing critical though, but could be a good idea in similar cases.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

The retention is counted not in the restore points but in days when successful backup was created, so even if you have two backup job runs per day - that's still going to be one day of retention. Please check this KB article for more details. Thanks!
sogapex
Enthusiast

Post by sogapex »

my bad. You are right. The settings clearly specify "running days", not number of retention points.
I will get more data on this once all the current PCs with VeeamAgent installed have more than the specified number of running days.
Thanks again