Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
martinostlund
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Martin Östlund

Configuration Backup repositories

Post by martinostlund »

Hello.

Our configured backup repositories consists of 3 iSCSI volumes which are grouped together to form a Scale-Out repository.
In our Veeamserver i also have 2 local disks, mounted as C:\ and D:\ respecitvly.

At the moment we are also connected to a Veeam Cloud Connect provider on trial basis.

What we want to do is change the location where Veeam stores "Configuration Backups".
It is now pointing to Default Backup Repository which is the local C: drive (not good!)

I read in the manual that this cannot be configured to a Scale-Out repository

The only options the Settings dialog for Configuration Backup is providing us is either Default Backup Repository or the Cloud provider.

Can someone provide us insight in why can't we choose either of the 3 connected iSCSI volumes, or even the other local disk D:\ ?
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Configuration Backup repositories

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hello Martin.

I believe it's an architectural limitation. To be honest, I'd recommend to follow 'do not keep all the eggs in one basket' rule and store the configuration backup in a dedicated repository (this could be share folder or USB drive connected to Veeam B&R console). Cheers!
martinostlund
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Martin Östlund

Re: Configuration Backup repositories

Post by martinostlund » 1 person likes this post

Hello again,

I got a good suggestion elsewhere to setup a File Copy Job from Default Backup Repository to one of my iSCSI disks to acheive an offsite backup of Configuration Backup. This works very well for me and suit my needs perfectly.

Thank you!