Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dziedzict
Lurker
Liked: never

functionality question

Post by dziedzict »

We are currently evaluating a new DR solution to role out with a new VMware environment. Our current DR solution (BE2010) has to write the VMDK file to a staged location before it performs a restore when performing a singe file restore from the VMDK file. This is a poor solution as this could easily require 1+ gig of free space depending o the size of the VMDK file and has the potential to grow exponentially over time.

Does Veeam require the writing of this staged file prior to performing a single file restore from a VMDX file?
hg0815
Lurker

Re: functionality question

Post by hg0815 »

No. Veeam mounts the backup as drive.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Ted,

Welcome to Veeam Community forums!

With Veeam you restore any guest VM file directly from a compressed and deduped backup, without the need of first restoring entire virtual disk (VMDK) to some staging area.

Since you're new here, I would recommend looking through our sticky F.A.Q. topic, which should answer all basic questions you may have about our product.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

I was fighting myself over posting this or just ignoring/skipping, but still decided to go ahead and post. In the end, truth is most important, plus there are too many other benefits of Veeam over Symantec anyway. :D

Ted, are you absolutely sure that BE2010 requires staging VMDK file before performing file-level restore? Because I don't believe this is the case with BE2010. They definitely provide ability to restore Windows guest files directly from backup without prior destaging, assuming RAWS agent is installed on each VM that you are backing up, and that the agent was able to successfully index the file system when backup was taken. The latter is actually what used to fail a lot for me for some reason when I was playing with it, so may be you are having the same issue, and this is what prevent file restores directly from backup for you?
hg0815
Lurker

Post by hg0815 »

Nice to get BE support here :wink:
I've got a question about BE.......