Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
abradley
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Bradley II

SQL Transaction Log Question

Post by abradley »

I am evaluating the Free edition of Veeam monitor and have it collecting data to a separate SQL 2005 server.
What we are seeing is a huge amount of Transaction Log traffic and it is consuming vast amounts of disk space.
The database is currently at 637MB but there are two LDF log files VeeamMonitor_log and VeeamMonitor_log2, we just ran a backup/truncate logs cause the transaction logs were at 20GB! Even now the _log file is 873MB and the _log2 file is 116MB (I believe these are the initial sizes after our truncate).

Is this normal for the database? I guess we are not sure why the log files would be growing at a large rate to where they would consume 20GB of space in about 4 weeks of running. Our setup has 4 vCenter Servers (50 guests) and another 4 ESXi servers (10 Guests).

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Andy
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: SQL Transaction Log Question

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Andy,

Yes, that's expected to have a growing transaction log due to current architecture. By default SQL transaction log is shrinked every 24 hours, however you can reduce this interval with the help of Veeam Monitor support utility.

Please contact our technical team to guide you through the steps required.

Thanks.