Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
snadam
Influencer
Liked: never

Virtual Machine and storage sizing for all-cloud deployment

Post by snadam »

I need to develop a backup plan for Office 365 that is all-cloud; no on-prem infrastructure. I'd like to install Veeam Backup for Office 365 on an Azure virtual machine and back up to Azure storage. I found one short page (https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=20) about deploying VBMO365 to a VM but, no guidance on sizing is included. I have no previous experience deploying workloads to Azure VM's and have no idea which 'type' of machine to start with. Are there any articles I can reference that provide sizing guidance and setup specifics for deployments like this?

I know there are other products likeNetApp SaaS Backup for Microsoft Office 365 that do this out-of-the-box but, I really love Veeam's products and services and would like to use VBMO365 if it can be done cost effectively.

Thank you
snadam
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: Virtual Machine and storage sizing for all-cloud deployment

Post by snadam »

While waiting on feedback from the the forum I've begun testing and have already run into a curious issue. I created a Windows 10 VM and mapped a SMB share to Azure File storage. When I try to create a Veeam repository the system drive (C:) shows up but not the UNC mapped file share mapped as disk (V:). The price of a disk is a fixed cost whether I use the space or not while the price of the Azure File share varies depending on the space used. What do I need to do to get Veeam Backup for Office 365 to recognize the UNC file path so that I can create a repository there?

Thank you!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Virtual Machine and storage sizing for all-cloud deployment

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi snadam,

VBO uses a Jet DB (the same type of engine Exchange is using) as a repository. This means the data is live and fast to restore, do e-discovery and so on... There is no mounting needed. But it does mean that it comes with some limitations. For the share, you need to use the format \\. If I am not mistaken, then it is something like: \\<account name>.file.core.windows.net\<share name>

BUT, you can't use the user and password, so you need to give the computer the read/write access. And to be honest, I am not aware if that is possible...