Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
videodj
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Stears

Veeam Backup Size compared to Windows 2016 Server Backup

Post by videodj »

Hi

I currently have Veeam and Windows Server 2016 backing up the same volumes (to compare), which is working fine, however Windows Server 2016 backup is twice as big as Veeam's backup. Does Veeam compressed the backup differently to Windows?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2721 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Backup Size compared to Windows 2016 Server Backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Dave,

Though WSB (Windows Server Backup) has been improving the way it compresses data from every release, you will find lots of topics in TechNet complaining that the size of the backup is large, so yes, I would say it is different.

Thank you!
videodj
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Stears

Post by videodj »

Ok, thanks, I'm yet to try a bare metal restore, but hopefully it will be fine. Just found it strange that the current used disk space I backup was 56Gb, WSB came to 64Gb and Veeam came to 27Gb. Given the size difference it looks like I'll be disabling WSB in the near future!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Dave,

Both product do backup but the technology under the hood is different, so as Vitaliy said this is expected. Please let us know how Bare Metal Recovery in Veeam Agent for Windows works for you or if you need any further assistance. Cheers!