Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
jesnyder
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Allen

Nutanix AHV Copy Jobs

Post by jesnyder »

We have started a migration of VMs from Hyper-V to Nutanix. Due to resources and time we did not have time to really dive into the options of the Veeam Nutanix Proxy. I am finding many options are not available when creating backup jobs.

First option that we have used is running jobs after other jobs complete. I am not seeing this option available. This is just one of a few I have came across.

My main question is to find out what others are doing to tackle the 3-2-1 with Nutanix. How are people typically setting up copy jobs? Once we get a copy job we also copy off to a NAS that goes offline. I am not seeing how we make this happen with the Nutanix Proxy?

Thanks in advance for any input.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Nutanix AHV Copy Jobs

Post by veremin »

- Backup AHV VM to backup repository
- Create a backup copy job on a backup server
- Select AHV policy as a source for the backup copy job

Thanks!
jesnyder
Lurker
Full Name: Allen

Post by jesnyder »

Yep, After I posted yesterday I figured it out. Unfortunately it's not all in one place. Hopefully new versions will allow everything to be setup on B&R.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Correct, currently you need to have both solutions (VAN and VB&R) to guarantee 3-2-1 rule. Your feedback has been taken into account. Thanks!
aspen432
Novice
Full Name: Max Speyer

Post by aspen432 »

Adding on to this question how would you restore a Nutanix AHV VM from the a backup copy? When I look at the backup copies in VB&R I only see options to do a file level restore, restore to Azure or do a disk export. When I look in the Veeam Appliance for Nutanix (VAN) none of the backup copies show up in the "Protected VMs" even though it is connected to the backup repository that contains them. Any help would be much appreciated.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

You need to import those backups on VAN and then execute full VM recovery. Thanks!
aspen432
Novice
Full Name: Max Speyer

Post by aspen432 »

We've tried the and unfortunately the "Import Backups" function is failing for us with the following error (UID omitted on purpose)...

"Failed to import backup [UID: 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX']. Error: No valid VM configuration found in restore point [UID : 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX']"

I believe this might be related to another bug we have identified which is if you have ever deleted a VM from a VAN backup job then any subsequently created VB&R backup copy jobs tied to that job will still try and copy it (as if it's still cached somewhere in the backup copy job configuration) resulting in a warning every time the backup copy job runs. We identified this issue to Veeam in case 03152942.

I have a opened case 03265057 for this issue related to the "Import Backups" failing for your reference.

Thanks for the response and any additional help is much appreciated!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Got it, let's wait and see what support team say about this issue, as we cannot provide any feedback without seeing debug logs and actual infrastructure. Thanks!