Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SDCoffee
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim Board

Difference between ROBO and Proxy

Post by SDCoffee »

I have 2 sites, one vCenter. Site one has 6 hosts, site two has 5 hosts. Both are under the same vCenter. They do NOT share storage as far as the VM's go. Only the REPLICATION destinations are mounted in both sites via NFS3. I have 4 NAS in place at each site. One for backup and one for replication.

Current setup is I have 6 proxies at Site A, 5 proxies at Site B. Site A does a backup of all VM's to local NAS on 10gb network. Site A replicates to Site B for DR. The same is true going the other way. Site B does a backup of all VM's to local NAS on 1gb network. Then it replicates to Site A.

However, Site B is much slower than Site A. Yes, I know it is only 1gb network but I am referring to the replications. Would it make any sense to setup a ROBO configuration or is it best to keep it the way it is? We will be upgrading the Site B to 10gb at least for the hosts/NAS capability soon so that should help with backups and replication after the traffic goes across the link (100gig), but I guess what I am asking is there any advantage to setup a ROBO configuration? What would I gain if anything?

Thanks for any advice.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Difference between ROBO and Proxy

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Tim and welcome to the community!

Let's make sure we don't miss any details before any advices.
Where is your backup server located? Maybe you have more than one VBR?
Which transport mode is utilized during backups, replications?
Also, provide the bottleneck stats for every scenario. Thanks!