Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
djhamp
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: doug hampson

SureReplica/sandbox questions

Post by djhamp »

I am trying to get a sandbox with App group of 9 servers going on our DR VMware instance. I have created the virtual lab, ran the surebackup job using replicas as the source. The job runs to 99% successfully, the proxy is created with 2 nic's, the VM's are turned on but they have no network card configured - I guess I can manually add the network?
Also I would like this to run for a week or so while they test a big application upgrade - but the nightly backups & replication jobs stop the surebackup job and create new vm replica's.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: SureReplica/sandbox questions

Post by PTide »

Hi,
The VM's are turned on but they have no network card configured<...>
That does not seem right. It might be a known issue, depending on your VirtualLab settings and guest OS type. Anyway, this is not an expected behaviour, so I would suggest you to contact our support team directly so they can check.

Also I would like this to run for a week or so while they test a big application upgrade - but the nightly backups & replication jobs stop the surebackup job and create new vm replica's.
That sounds like a request for a permanent lab feature. Although it's not in the product yet, there exists a workaround.

Thanks
djhamp
Novice

Post by djhamp »

I do have a support case open now. I have verified the last 3 days - the replicated vm's have the normal network card configured before the sure-backup job runs, after the sure-backup job runs the vm's are powered up but the network card is gone.

So if I want to do the workaround permanent lab - I would clone the lab vm's, do I also clone the virtual lab appliance vm?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Would you share your support case ID for future reference, please?
So if I want to do the workaround permanent lab - I would clone the lab vm's, do I also clone the virtual lab appliance vm?
I would rather create a separate virtual lab instead of copying the existing one, at least it will be visible in VBR and you'll be able to change/modify it if needed. After you create a new appliance, just attach copies of your VMs to its solated network.

Thanks!
djhamp
Novice

Post by djhamp »

Case # 03262822
But doesn't the lab appliance only run while the surebackup job is running?
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Once deployed, vLab appliance sits there and can be started/stopped manually just as a regular VM.

Thanks
djhamp
Novice

Post by djhamp »

Great - thanks!