Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
FranceLink
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Gwenaël Pont

Imported backup = wrong number of kept points = too many place used

Post by FranceLink »

Hi,

My Veeam server crashed,so I remounted it and reimported my veeam backup with no problem, good.
But now I have my 75 restored points on each VM, and the new restore points are not considered continuing existing backup (imported).

The big problem is that veeam recreated a full backup, and didn't considered the full backup planning.

On friday a month should have been deleted and so it wasn't.

=> Concequence : My disk space grew up significatly and array became full without possibility of reducing used disk space !

Is it possible to tell veeam continuing imported backup planning?

If not, how can I solve this problem?...

Thanks for your quick help, my backup is actually not effective...
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Imported backup = wrong number of kept points = too many place used

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Gwenaël,

Did you restore Veeam Configuration database or created a new backup server from scratch? If you do not have configuration backup to restore your can map existing backup files to your newly created jobs to continue backups chains. Cheers!
FranceLink
Enthusiast

Post by FranceLink »

Hi,

Thanks for your very quick answer :)

I ddin't succed in restore through backup configuration file, seems to be a password problem :(, so in recreate a server from scratch and import my repository.

Thanks for tips, maping works, I find all my restore points in "Disk" item.

But when I launch afull backup, points which have to be deleted are not, before veeam process the full (on the same set of backup, this point is ok).

In my case, I set veeam to do a full backup every first friday of the month. To be sure I changed setting to keep only 40 points (to be sure veeam delete the thrid month : august, and keep september and octobre).
I count numbers of point until full backup of september and there is about 45 points. Why veeam didn't remove full+incrementals from august?

Maybe it doeas AFTER a new full backup? If yes I'm stuck, I have not enough place to do a full backup of my 100VM...

:(
FranceLink
Enthusiast

Post by FranceLink »

I'm thinking that maybe usually removing previous points was done after the 51th (usually I ask to keep 50 points) point which is an incremental one and that I never care about that?

If yes, it's normal that it didn't do it cause veeam server was crashed during this time.

So maybe I have to do an incremental one if veeam remove outdated points AFTER backing up?

Otherwise, is there any way to manually force veeam to remove outdated points?

Otherwise, can I manually remove points whithout crashing entire system? => This would be veeery long, cause I have 100VM with each 30 points to remove...
FranceLink
Enthusiast

Post by FranceLink »

YESSS !!

I had a small job, I did a test, removing is done AFTER backing up the job.

So I will do an incremental to remove outdated points and after a full.

Just, If you know a way to manually trigger outaded points verificaiton/removal, please let me know, I didn't find it :)

Thanks !
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

There is no way to trigger the retention without running the backup job (as retention is performed by backup job). For forever incremental backup chains you can set retention to lower value and manually start backup to imitate merge process. Such approach won't work for backup chains with periodic full backup (active or synthetic fulls) and you should wait for the entire backup chain to be retired. It's possible to delete such backup chains manually from disk (old portion of .vbk+.vib+...+.vib chain till next .vbk). If that's your case - please double check everything before removing the backup files. Cheers!
FranceLink
Enthusiast

Post by FranceLink »

Thanks that's my answer.

Just for my informaiton, if I remove vib + vbk for the chain I want to remove, do I need to resync something in veeam software to be ok?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

The proxcedure should look like this:

0. Delete files from disk. Please make sure you are deleting the right files (independent backup chain which contains .vbk and .vibs only). Instead of deleting the backups I'd recommend to move them first to some subfolder
1. Under Backup Infrastructure > Repository right click the repository and hit Rescan
2. Once done go to Home > Backups, find the backup file you were deleting backup chains for and go to properties
3. Find the removed backup files (should be marked with red X), right click it and hit Forget > This and all dependent backups
FranceLink
Enthusiast

Post by FranceLink »

Thanks !

Cheers !