Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
texxx
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: GM

Bandwidth throttling rules fail on backup copy jobs

Post by texxx »

This is an odd one confirmed by support (Case # 03119843) and only occurs on backup copy jobs for Agent backups. Coming here to let others know, and to ask for an enhancement to fix the issue.

Details:
I have about a dozen physical servers being backed up with the Veeam agent, split into two jobs that run each night. These jobs both have secondary destinations (backup copy jobs) that send the data to a remote repository over a 60mbs link. I have throttling rules in place to prevent swamping the link as I have other latency and packet-drop-sensitive apps that use this same link, and they react badly to 100% utilization.

During the backup copy job, before the actual data files get sent, there's a step in the backup copy process where Veeam creates a VeeamRecoveryMedia.zip file and sends that file to the remote repository. It's during this transfer step that throttling rules are ignored, and Veeam consumes 100% of the link causing application issues for one of my more sensitive, but critical, applications.

Support suggested I throttle the repository to limit the bandwidth utilization, and while that works, it effectively cripples the repository for any job that needs access, including local jobs. Their other suggestion was to create another throttled repository on the same remote host and send only the backup copy jobs there, which seems like it might be a good workaround for now. But I'd really prefer Veeam respect the throttling rules at all times throughout a backup copy job, so please consider this my official enhancement request, and I hope this helps others that may encounter the issue.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Bandwidth throttling rules fail on backup copy jobs

Post by Dima P. »

Hello and welcome to Veeam community Geoffrey.

I'll pass your info and case to our RnD team as the behavior should be fixed. Thanks for sharing your issue with us, cheers!
SKratzTS
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Steve Kratz

Post by SKratzTS »

I just ran into this myself -- Our remote location for our backups is throttled to 5MB/s during the day, but I saw their entire 100Mbps connection being hammered. It's the off-site copy job for our physical database server.

Grr.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Steve.

Was that a fist backup copy job run? Thank you.
chaswiegman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chas Wiegman

Post by chaswiegman »

- We are on VBR 11a and still have this issue during VAW BCJ.
- In our case the client is stuck with DSL 1Mb upload max. :(
- When we reach the step "Saving VeeamRecoveryMedia.zip" all the BW is consumed and the client reports internet troubles.
- The throttling of any repo is not possible since we need the throttle to be 0.5Mb during business hours.
- I hope this post bumps this up for review.