Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
siyanor
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ahmad Jamali

windows agent file level or volume level backup

Post by siyanor »

Hi there,
I have searched through the forum and read the manual for windows agent on the Veeam website , I have a few question which hopefully will get answered here.

We have a physical server which has a database of 5.5 TB (its saved over two volumes) which currently is being backed up by windows agent.
the agent been configured as file level backup and to perform a full backup every Friday and incremental other days of week.
Now the incremental and full backup usually takes between 10 to 14 hours , the speed is something between 60 -75 Mbps. Veeam compresses the full backup data size to 3.5 TB.

My question is that if I use volume backup rather than full backup , will it be like performing full backup ? as I need to have a 15 days backup available on backup storage (total capacity is 35 TB) or it will be able to perform incremental backup over volume backup as well?
if volume level backup will perform only full backup,is there a way to speed up file level backup?

Regards,
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: windows agent file level or volume level backup

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Ahmad,

The backup chain will remain the same in both backup methods, it consists of the full backup file followed by increments.
In volume level backup you are able to restore the whole volumes without the ability to choose files or folders.
Also, I'd expect improved backup performance, since the file level backup mode is the most resource consumable. Thanks!
siyanor
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ahmad Jamali

Post by siyanor »

Hi Dmitry,
Thank you for your reply!
In Veeam university it was mentioned that I have ability to restore files /folder & the volume itself.I guess that means i need to restore the whole volume first and then restore a specific file/folder from it.

I will give volume backup a test to see if it will make the whole process of backup faster.

Regards,
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ahmad,
I guess that means i need to restore the whole volume first and then restore a specific file/folder from it.
There two separate restore methods: file level restore provides the ability to restore individual folders/files and volume level restore which operates on a volume level (so it knows nothing about the files inside the volumes). I've added links to KB articles to kindly take a look and let us know if your still have any questions. Thanks!