Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rboynton
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Rick Boynton

File Copy Questions

Post by rboynton »

Don't know this is a real problem, but have never used the copy feature of Veeam B&R 9.5 before. We started a file copy job to move a large VM folder between datastores. We let it run for about thirty minutes but saw nothing update in the Veeam copy dialog box. We clicked cancel and waited an hour but nothing changed. The copy window simply said cancelling. We actually stopped the job by cancelling it from the VCenter recent tasks window.

We created a new datastore and tried the file copy again from Veeam and just let it go this time. We found the copy window in Veeam seems to not update showing how much has been copied or the from/to fields. All remain blank. The only way we know something is happening is we go into our VCenter and see that four different copy jobs have been started, and those show a relative percentage completed. Is this normal behavior?
rboynton
Enthusiast

Re: File Copy Questions

Post by rboynton »

The Veeam file copy also ended up failing after about 12+ hours. Created a case #03282565. Thinking something in the connection to the source datastore is flaky (SAN controller, although nothing in the SAN logs show a problem, bad cable, or flaky iSCSI switch).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Rick, asking our engineers' assistance is the right step in this situation - the behavior doesn't look expected and deep logs analysis is definitely required. Thanks for sharing the case ID!
rboynton
Enthusiast

Post by rboynton »

Thanks. I have a question about the file copy process: when the copy process failed, Veeam cancelled the copy, but there were 15-20 file copy jobs still "running" in the VCenter recent task list. I am assuming as time goes on, Veeam calls for more copy threads to speed things up? I had to manually cancel each of those. Is this normal?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Doesn't look expected, I will ask QA to check, thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Actually Veeam B&R itself doesn't do anything except calling the copy function. We will check if it is Veeam B&R who should close the session correctly or this behavior is caused by some issues on VMware side.