Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
stvajnkf
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times

Auto Update fails to find latest update

Post by stvajnkf »

I downloaded the latest trial installer for O365 Backup, and it installed version 2.0.0.567. The program's built-in updater claims that it is up to date and running the latest version. However, there is a patch to version 2.0.0.594 available here: https://www.veeam.com/kb2765. It seems the updater should detect that update. Also, perhaps you'd want your published installer to install the latest version so users don't have to manually download an update immediately after installing.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: Auto Update fails to find latest update

Post by Polina »

Hi stvajnkf,

Cumulative patch KB2765 provides fixes to known issues that potentially can occur when using build 2.0.0.567. It's not seen as a product update, hence it's not listed in the product updates section on the website and is not available as an auto-update.
stvajnkf
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times

Post by stvajnkf »

Um, does anyone else think this is odd? Veeam calls it a "cumulative patch" that "provides fixes to known issues" to a specific version, which also increases its version number to a higher number, but Veeam doesn't consider that an "update"? In my opinion, that's the definition of an update.

No disrespect intended, Polina. I guess it's just a difference of opinion. For what it's worth, Wikipedia seems to agree that "software update" is synonymous with "patch".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_(computing)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

@Stvajnkf,

Yes, it is indeed a difference in opinion and definition. But the software world is changing, definitions are changing and so are we. Since 2.0 we have the auto-update feature builtin which will be used for the next version, and I do expect (over time) that we will distribute cumulative patches or cumulative updates over it also. This time we had good reasons not to do it yet but as said, I expect this to be changed over time.

We are adapting step by step and please keep giving feedback and pushing us to deliver ;-)

Cheers
Mike