Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
wingsoft
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Wingsoft

Replication from Datastore to another

Post by wingsoft »

Hi
we have configured a Replication Job with 9 VMs included.
The job replicate Vms from a Production Datastore to another Datastore.
Both connected via iSCSI.
Veeam Server and Backup Proxies are VMs in the same Cluster same as the 9 VMs need to be replicated.

My questions are :
- in Job Settings - Advanced Setting - Traffic tab : Storage optimization must be in "LAN target" o "Local Target" ?
- in Backup Proxy Transport Mode : Better Virtual appliance (actual setting we use) or Direct storage access is better?

Thanks to all
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Repliction from Datastore to another

Post by ejenner » 1 person likes this post

I don't think it's recommended to run your Veeam infrastructure on the same hardware as the machines you're trying to protect? I understand if you have limited resources you may have no choice. So potentially, if you can move the Veeam servers out of the cluster that may circumvent this issue. Depends on whether or not you agree and want to do something like that. If it is set up like that deliberately or you have no choice of alternative configurations then stick with it.

I think for the first question the setting you choose would depend on the performance of your storage system. If your iSCSI is too slow then you'd be better off choosing LAN target. But I'd imagine if it's supporting your virtual infrastructure then performance isn't a concern so you'd go for Local target to benefit from the performance the storage system is able to offer.

For the second question you have the best option selected already.

Most resilient and fastest configuration would be servers outside of the virtual environment with direct storage access... I think. ;)
wingsoft
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Wingsoft

Re: Replication from Datastore to another

Post by wingsoft »

Thanks for you reply!
You're right! We're a growing company and next step is to separate the Backup Veeam from production environment. ;-)
Thanks a lot