Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Dmont
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David

Additional Veeam Server connecting to the same VMware Hosts – Share license?

Post by Dmont »

I know this is going to be a strange question, so I hope I can explain it correctly.

We are a multi-site business that centrally looks after everyone’s backups. Using Veeam Enterprise Manager we allow the IT support from each site to restore their files themselves using selfservice. This is configured in Veeam Enterprise Manager Roles, each IT department has “Portal User” permission to only their pre-defined VMware folder.

This feature is fantastic, however this only allows for each site to check their backups and carryout restores, almost a perfect solution.
We have one site that would like to have access (via Veeam client) to our Veeam Server to be able to add and change backup jobs. I’m not keen on allowing this as they will be able to alter backup jobs that are not theirs.

My question is – Can we create a new Veeam Server dedicated for this site, connect it to the same VMware infrastructure using a restricted AD Account, using the same Veeam licenses allowing them full control of their own environment and not risk damaging other backups?

Many thanks
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Additional Veeam Server connecting to the same VMware Hosts – Share license?

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Hi David,

The major issue here is that the Veeam backup servers are unaware of each other and the backup jobs overlapping will cause troubles.
You should look at Cloud Connect functionality as it can solve the situation like yours. Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Additional Veeam Server connecting to the same VMware Hosts – Share license?

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

I would not go that path with Cloud Connect as it do not solve the management issue.

1) When you add the additional B&R Server to the Enterprise Manager, it will use only 1 license per host CPU socket. So the second B&R will lookup the host and CPU count at EM and see that it is already licensed. So this should solve your main question.

2) Potentially just wait for Update 4. It will bring Self Service for Backup with it.
Dmont
Influencer

Post by Dmont »

Thanks for your responses guys.

Andreas - point 2, I'm reading this as Update 4 will allow site admins to create/edit backup jobs that they have Role rights to ? Either in Enterprise Management Web Portal or Veeam Client ?

Thanks
Dmont
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Correct. Look at the current vCloud Director integration. It is the same (Enterprise Manager only).
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Dmont
Influencer

Post by Dmont »

Superb !

Thanks Andreas, I look forward to the U4 release.

Dmont