Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
fredywenger
Novice
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Fredy Wenger

Evaluation Veeam for Windows - my findings

Post by fredywenger » 7 people like this post

I have evaluated "Veeam for Windows Agent" and habe invested two full work weeks for that.

The (very!) short conclusion:
- Good and usable product (I will use it im my company)
-> But some "has to add" functions
- Good support processes and support engineers
- Contains all you need to do your backups (including server backup)
Way better as Acronis (at least from my point of view)
I would recommend it...
You can find all the details in a .pdf under the link below…
If you also are on the way to evaluate Veeam, you (really) should read is.
If not, the document also could be useful for you..
I have created a detailed document (.pdf) including a detailed description of my problems, some comparison to Acronis and backup exec, hints and especially also proposals for Veeam.
I have created the .pdf as it contains also screenshots/graphics and I will send it also to them Veeam management (over the Veeam support).
You can load it with the link below:
http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/268a39_d8 ... 522153.pdf
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Evaluation Veeam for Windows - my findings

Post by wishr »

Hi Fredy,

That's a very valuable feedback. We'll take a deeper look at the whole document and process it accordingly.

Thank you and please keep your feedback coming.
fredywenger
Novice

Post by fredywenger » 1 person likes this post

Hi Fedor
Thanks for your feedback (so I can see, that the document is "noted" by Veeam) and.. you're welcome.
I hope the document will help other users and the proposals - especially the email notification in the "starter module" (is really very important and should be easy to implement!) will find the way in a new Veeam release soon...
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Fredy.

Thanks a lot for the kind words and decent feedback! Support team has already shared your notes with me and we will review it with the entire team. Cheers!
s_t
Influencer
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Sebastian Talmon

Post by s_t » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

The missing Microsoft Exchange single item restore tools are available through Veeam Backup&Replication Console, if either
- you have licensed Veeam Backup&Replication for your virtual infrastructure (maybe replace BackupExec with Veeam?)
- you buy licenses for the Veeam Agents (will get you a zero-Hypervisor-socket-License for Veeam Backup&Replication)

https://www.veeam.com/agents-windows-linux-pricing.html

Through the Backup&Replication Console you would also get the possibilities to do configure BackupCopyJobs or Backup2Tape Jobs so you have 2 Backup-Copies of your Data.

Also the paid Veeam Agent for Windows Server has more possibilities during Backup (I don’t think the free version has Transaction log handling for Microsoft Exchange Server)
--Sebastian
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

The missing Microsoft Exchange single item restore tools are available through Veeam Backup&Replication Console
True. To be honest license is not required as you can use Veeam B&R Free edition to start recovery (just enable full functionality mode in Main menu and you will see all the recovery options).
I don’t think the free version has Transaction log handling for Microsoft Exchange Server
That's true - application processing settings are available only in Server edition of Veeam Agent for Windows. Cheers!
fredywenger
Novice

Post by fredywenger » 1 person likes this post

Update to my .pdf - chapter 3.2 (operation) -> see first posting in this thread.
Problem: Veeam backup was not started from the "starter job":
It seems as the "Last try" (enhanced the “Desktop heap size” in registry according this link: https://www.veeam.com/kb1909)
did the job.
Since I have enhanced the "Desktop heap size", both backup jobs on both clients at the home office were running without problems (about a full month now).
=> So, if you have the problem, that the backup jobs don't start, as a timeout ist reached -> enhance the "Desktop heap size" and you have a good chance to solve your problem...
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi Fredy,

Thanks for sharing it. Appreciate your time and efforts.