Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ddores
Novice
Liked: never

DR Replication - USB Drives.

Post by ddores »

I'm attempting to setup a DR system between 2 sites in the same city. I'm planning on using USB hard drives to transfer images between sites.

I'd like to be able to just take a full set of VBK and VRB files from "Site 1" to "Site 2". Site 2 would have copies of the Site 1 VMs on it from the previous day already on the ESXi server.

Then I want to push just the changes into the VMs. Basically, the same as a WAN replication job that would benefit from CBT, but instead of WAN, using a USB drive.

I know I can just re-restore all the VMs, but the data footprint is > 1Tb - it's going to take a long time. If I could do an 'incremental restore' the time to transfer would be cut dramatically.

After thinking about this for 'far too long' - I'm stuck.

If anyone has any ideas - throw them my way.

Thanks -
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Re: DR Replication - USB Drives.

Post by Gostev »

Hi. It is impossible to do something like this with our product today. Thanks.
MCScrapE
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Andrew Iwamoto

Post by MCScrapE »

ddores, I am wrestling with the same issue except I am moving from site 1 to site 2 (see http://www.veeam.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7288). However, I have to have both sites up for a short period of time. What I initially planned on doing was putting the site 2 server in site 1 and doing a replication job. I stopped that as to get my VMs back to my site 1 servers once they reached site 2 would be to back up the replica sites and then restore them onto the original servers. I didn't like the idea of having production VMs with the _replica in the file names.

In your case this to me sounds like a replication job. From what I have seen once the initial replication completes the subsequent jobs are incremental and therefore you can just run replication jobs after your local backups complete. Hopefully this helps or can spark a different idea.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6692 times

Post by Gostev »

Andrew, OP does not want any WAN traffic at all...