Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lroscoe
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Leo Roscoe

Veeam Backup Proxy VM goes invalid and terminates

Post by lroscoe »

This is the error message we seen on the Veem proxy "Configuration file has unexpected changes. Virtual machine has been terminated. Unregister and re-register virtual machine if the configuration file is correct." The VM was powered off and showing an invalid state in VMware. Veeam case# 03283276

We found this KB https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/56453 as steps for a workaround. This KB also states that this is an known issue with ESXi 6.5 U2 and ESXi 6.7 . We are currently running ESXi 6.5 U1. See below our current ESXi build number and Veeam Backup & Replication version .

ESXi, 6.5.0, 8294253
Veeam B&R Version 9.5.0.1536
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Veeam Backup Proxy VM goes invalid and terminates

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Have you contacted VMware regarding the issue? Did the workaround from the KB help?

Thanks!
nvdwansem
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Post by nvdwansem »

We see the same behavior although we are running vCenter 6.5 U2, Veeam case#03283864

The workaround works, removing and adding to inventory or running a services.sh restart, however sometimes the disk of the machine it was backing up is still attached and you have to remove that before you're able to boot the server again.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Leo,
<...>We are currently running ESXi 6.5 U1.<...>
ESXi, 6.5.0, 8294253
If I am not mistaken, 8294253 is 6.5 U2, not U1, isn't it?

nvdwansem,

Probably you should also open a case with VMware as you're running exactly the ESXi version that the KB is reporting to be affected.

Thanks!
gmajestix
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times

Post by gmajestix »

Workaround on the Veeam side for this issue is to change from hotadd to network based. It worked for me. Until a patch from VMware arrives.
colohost
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Colo Host

Post by colohost »

Just ran into this myself with proxies randomly crashing; our last vSphere patch go-round was a week prior to the ESXi 6.5 P03 update, so guess that's what we'll be doing this weekend. You'd think Veeam would look out for compatibility issues and point them out; I'm on my first experience with the enterprise Backup & Replication product for a fairly large environment, and it has now had two critical failures just during the first backup job we've run.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,
<...>You'd think Veeam would look out for compatibility issues and point them out;
Actually, we do that. 6.5 U2 row:
Note:

Supported with the exception of issues caused by a regression introduced in ESXi 6.5 U2 that causes its API to fail randomly under heavy host load.
There is a known issue where a Veeam Proxy running on a VM may become listed as (invalid) in vSphere. More information here: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/56453
Thanks!