Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 133 times
Full Name: Marc K

AAP Script Paths

Post by mkaec »

I'm trying out running a custom EXE as a pre-freeze script. I copied the EXE to the Veeam server and configured the job. When the job starts, I see the EXE load and then it sits there forever. Eventually Veeam gives up waiting for it.

I found that that after Veeam copied the EXE to the VM, it ran the following command:

\\<IP Address of VM>\admin$\{5d35dec2-230d-45d0-9703-a000ed570709}\MyCustomProgram.exe

When I run this manually, I get a popup security warning.
"We can't verify who created this file. Are you sure you want to run this file?"
"This file is in a location outside your local network. Files from locations you don't recognize can harm your PC."

That's what's going on. Veeam is starting this on the VM and it is popping up this dialog that no one will ever respond to. It's occurring because of the weird way Veeam runs it. Now, I could work-around this by signing the EXE. But, that's a lot of extra work for an in-house custom exe.

If instead, Veeam ran it as "C:\Windows\{5d35dec2-230d-45d0-9703-a000ed570709}\MyCustomProgram.exe", it wouldn't be running over a network share and Windows wouldn't care that it's not signed.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: AAP Script Paths

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Marc,

Yes, you're correct Veeam is using admin share (cannot be changed now) to push and execute the script, so I guess either singing it or launching a batch file that would in turn trigger your custom application from the required path should be a way to.

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide » 1 person likes this post

my 2 cents:

There is also a workaround for that, please check the very first comment on this article.

Thanks!
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec »

I think if Veeam were using the Netbios name, I wouldn't have experienced this. The work-around would probably be to add the machine's local IP address to the Local Intranet zone. But, I think the true fix for all of Veeam's customers would be to stop running the file across the Admin$ share and do it through the local path instead.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, we were just trying to suggest you a workaround, since switching from Admin$ share to the local path is not available. Thanks for the FR anyway!
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec » 2 people like this post

Yes. Just trying to do my part to improve the product. Thanks for pointing out that additional work-around option.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Post by Gostev »

I am curios if it is even possible to match "\\<IP Address of VM>\admin$\{5d35dec2-230d-45d0-9703-a000ed570709}\MyCustomProgram.exe" to the local path such as "C:\Windows\{5d35dec2-230d-45d0-9703-a000ed570709}\MyCustomProgram.exe" without a local process though.
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec »

You mean the custom program is not being launched by a local process? I figured it was being launched by the runtime process that AAP deploys on the VM as that would be the easiest way to do it.