Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
thubbell
Novice
Liked: never

Backup speed very slow

Post by thubbell »

Hi,

I just started working for a company, that uses B&R 9.5. On the Backup Server is one Backup Repository using Cifs on a remote Storage. Connected are both with 10Gbit. There is one Backup Job, backing up from vSphere. About 10 VMs are included in this job, When I look at the details of this job when it is finished, I see "processing rate 11 MB/S" and "Bottleneck: Throttling" I tested the connection speed from Backupserver to Repository. I does not reach 10Gbit, but when copying a testfile, the average is about 120-140MB/S. I suppose using CIFS is not the best solution, but anyway, more than 11MB/S would be nice and should be reachable within our setup. There are also 3 Proxies in use, all of them with 10GBit. My assumption is, that the cifs storage cannot handle the speed. May Disks are the bottleneck. It's a QNAP Storage, but rather old with RAid5 on 12 Disks. This one is also connected with 10GBit. Any ideas how I can improve backup speed?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup speed very slow

Post by veremin »

It means that there are network traffic throttling rules specified. Those prevent job from processing VMs faster. Thanks!
thubbell
Novice

Post by thubbell »

No, I looked this up already. There are no network throttling rules specified.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Any maximum limits set on proxy or backup repository server? Such as maximum concurrent task number or read and write data rates limits? Thanks!
thubbell
Novice

Post by thubbell »

The proxies have max concurrent tasks set to 4, because of CPU limitations.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

And how many tasks do those 10 VMs have combined? I guess backup server is set as a default gateway server for your CIFS backup repository? If so, what maximum concurrent task number it has specified? And what about read and write data rates limits set on the backup repository? Thanks!