Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
jeffshead
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jeff

When to untick Inject drivers...

Post by jeffshead »

Can a Veeam employee or a user with 100% certainty explain when 'Inject these drivers...' should and should not be used? I don't think I'm the only one that is confused by the ambiguity of this function.

I'm referring to the option depicted in the image below, when you boot from the recovery media to perform a bare metal restore:

Should this option be ticked or unticked in the following scenarios:
  1. Recovery media created on the same PC that the backup was taken from. Boot from recovery media and perform bare metal restore to the same PC.
    • I'm guessing unticked for this one because the drivers are already part of the image so there is no need to inject them???
  2. Recovery media created on the same PC that the backup was taken from. Boot from recovery media and perform bare metal restore to a different PC with different hardware.
    • I'm guessing you would want to inject different drives (not the ones on the media) since it's different hardware???
  3. Recovery media created on new PC, not the one that the backup was taken from. Boot from recovery media, on new PC, and perform bare metal restore of image taken from a different PC.
    • I'm guessing you would want to inject the drivers that are on the media???
Other caveats may be that you would like to "inject" some but not all of the drivers or just the network settings that were saved when the recovery media was created. How would you do that?
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: When to untick Inject drivers...

Post by ejenner »

1.Recovery media created on the same PC that the backup was taken from. Boot from recovery media and perform bare metal restore to the same PC.

yes

2.Recovery media created on the same PC that the backup was taken from. Boot from recovery media and perform bare metal restore to a different PC with different hardware.

no, unless the hardware is 'similar' enough. i.e. some Intel network drivers will work with a number of different network adapters (for instance)

3.Recovery media created on new PC, not the one that the backup was taken from. Boot from recovery media, on new PC, and perform bare metal restore of image taken from a different PC.

No. You don't want to overwrite the working drivers. In this scenario you could just boot a blank OS and restore data from the backup. Having the ISO to boot a machine which isn't compatible with your backup wouldn't be a BMR job.

I'll add that in the majority of cases a BMR restoration isn't fully clean. Quite often you'll have to perform further remedial works on the recovered system. It's quite often driver related. But can be other things like drive letters changing or different ip configurations. If you had a blanket policy of always injecting the drivers but on one occasion you had to restore to different hardware the drivers would be injected but wouldn't work with the hardware on the machine.

I'm assuming you are talking about Windows machines, you will probably be aware that if an incompatible driver is put into a configuration Windows won't load the driver. It will choose a different driver or it will fail to start the device. You might get blue-screening and have to boot in safe mode or perform recovery on the installation using Windows recovery tools after the restore.

If you didn't inject drivers the worst you'll have to deal with is an OS which can't see the system disk and it won't boot. Anything which boots can have the drivers manually installed when you get to the GUI.

Of course, the way to develop the best policy for your organization is to do some BMR testing to see where the pitfalls are so you can develop your standard policy.
jeffshead
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jeff

Post by jeffshead »

@ejenner
Your answer to #3 causes me confusion. In all three scenarios, I am doing a BMR. Let me further explain scenario #3 -- A fresh OS install is performed and all drivers are installed. Then a recovery media is created with the drivers for the new PC. The fresh OS will be paved over when the BRM is done.

Unless I am mistaken, any/all third party drivers that are installed on a PC will be part of the image created during backup. Therefore, if you perform a BMR to the same PC (scenario #1), you would want to untick the inject option because the same drivers, on the recovery media, are already installed in the image.

If you restore that image, on a dissimilar PC (scenario #3), those old/incorrect drivers will be installed unless you tick the option to inject the drivers which were saved to the recovery media. So in scenario #3, I would want to inject the drivers from the recovery media so that the ones in the image are not installed. Correct?
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Post by ejenner »

yes, so if you're 'paving over' the existing installation with a restoration you don't want to overwrite the drivers which are already present and dissimilar to the drivers of the machine you are trying to restore. This is assuming the machine you're attempting to BMR is radically different specification from the one you backed up. As I'm sure you're aware, the language we're using is 'bare metal restore'. A total restoration of a backed up machine to different hardware. A recovery .iso for the original machine will only be useful if restoring to the same hardware or a nearly identical specification.

A standard rule-of-thumb is that you can add incompatible drivers to a build in either direction but Windows won't try to use them if they're incompatible. To use incompatible drivers in Windows you have to be very persistent and manually specify for each device an incompatible driver or windows will just ignore it.

I believe the purpose of the recovery .ISO is to be able to boot the machine. Once booted you can restore data from the Veeam job. Without a compatible recovery .ISO you would have to build a fresh machine and then restore the Veeam job. i.e. if the recovery .ISO is for incompatible hardware it wouldn't be of any use anyway.

If you wanted to guess what would be best without defining your own policy based on testing in your own environment then prepare recovery with drivers included as your default.

I'll tell you what I'm doing and you can critique my approach as it might be useful for me if you can see any problems or vice versa, it may change your view on your approach. For my physical servers I've created my recovery .ISO files which are a one-time file you generate when you install the agent on the physical machine. After that, I do two kinds of backup for each server. I have an 'Entire Computer' backup of the machine which includes all the drives and a system state. On top of that I also have separate jobs defined for the system drive and the data drives. With this granularity I can restore any kind of data in any kind of scenario. I'm depending on de-duplication features to reduce the effect of backing up the same data multiple times and the stats I have show that this is working. All I'm doing with my different kinds of job definitions is giving myself multiple restore options, the additional data cost isn't too high.

In both cases the strategies we're discussing wouldn't provide very fast recovery for a failed physical server. If you don't know what you're going to be BMR'ing to then a delay is unavoidable. Just make sure you have a copy of your data that you can use. If you know exactly what you're going to BMR to then there's no debate, create the .ISO and backup the server and you're done. ;)

Another option I've seen from another contributor on this forum is to replicate your physical server to a VM. That provides the maximum efficiency when you have to do a total recovery of the server as the replicated server is on standby and only has to be made live.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

To cut the long story shot this checkbox should be used only when the drivers collected during recovery media creation do not match with the hardware your are restoring to. Hope this makes sense, cheers!
GoodBoy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Theron Speer

Post by GoodBoy »

I have I believe a similar question.

I am using Veeam Agent for Windows 6.0.2.1090, have recovery media created, backups. I currently boot to a partition on a pcie raid 5 controller that has it's own driver (Areca ARC-1883i).

On the same pC, what I want to do it move the OS to an NVMe drive. The backups of course have the raid controller storage driver. Can I do a restore to the NVMe drive, and have it inject those required drivers?

Plan: install the nvme, unplug the raid controller. Boot to windows install media and do a fresh windows 11 install on the nvme, keeping same partition sizes that I have used on the raid controller. Then boot to veeam recovery media, do a restore of the OS using a backup created last night, to the matching partition.
Will this work? Do I need to install veeam on the nvme windows install, and create fresh recovery media? The nvme drivers are already in the backups, but that storage device is not what windows boots from. I need to change the storage controller driver during the restore.

I'm hoping there is a way to do this, tried using aomei partition manager to migrate, but it doesn't work properly.
GoodBoy
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Theron Speer

Post by GoodBoy »

I figured it out. I read a bit more about the bare metal recovery, that was all I needed to do.