Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DukeR
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael

HPStoreOnce and Veeam B&R

Post by DukeR »

Hi all

Usually we work with EMC Data Domain and DDBoost BUT now we do have a customer which has been forced by its own policy to use HP products so I do have my first HP StoreOnce Box in front of me. I already went through "StoreOnce 3100, 3520, 3540, 5100, and 5500 User Guide" and "Veeam Backup & Replication version 9.x with HPE StoreOnce Catalyst Configuration" but I did not find everything I was looking for unfortunately.

The first one is basically a network question:

I do have a physical Veeam Proxy Server with 2x10 Gbit cards, a virtual Veeam B&R server and a HP StoreOnce 5100 with 4x 1 Gbit and 2x 10 Gbit. With EMC Data Domain I usually configured one 1 Gbit port for management and 2x 10Gbit for data transfer. What I knew with EMC DD and Veeam B&R was: Due to EMC DD Boost protocol you just configured the proxy server with 2x IP addresses for the 10 gbit cards and the same for the EMC DD without any bond settings, based on the configuration guides the system would then do load balancing via DD Boost natively AND it actually did!

I can not see anything like this with HP StoreOnce.... do I need to create a bond on HP StoreOnce and on the Proxy Server? Do I have to configure settings on the 10Gbit Switch as well (Dell) or is it even recommended to use only one 10 gbit card if we are not able to configure any LACP settings on the switches?

If you can give me some feedback on this and maybe one or two options on how to configure a setup like this that would be great.

The second is more of a job or layout question:

In another post I asked about the possibility to store data from backup jobs directly to the HP StoreOnce and if there is any drawback nowadays with regards to performance. The feedback was "it is OK but not recommended due to 3-2-1" BUT within the Veeam Guide for HP StoreOnce they even have an example about exactly this.

In our case we want to use the appliace as a first target for backup jobs AND for copy jobs with GFS and then backup data to tape (GFS) in addition. Later on we are planning to install a 2nd appliance in another location so we can create copy jobs on this with GFS as well.

Is this OK or a NO GO? The reason for this is, that the current proxy does have 60 TB of enclosure space BUT it is totally full with old backup data we are not allowed to delete AND to be honest these enclosure disks are terribly slow as well....

Optimal would be to have the space from the proxy for first and the aplliance for copy jobs but how to move data away from these disks? Is there a Veeam way on how to move backup data to another location and map it again in Veeam? This question is just for my own interest because in this setup we are not able to because the old backup chains are still needed by the old ACTIVE backups.

The third one is more of a replication one:
Based on the guide with HP StoreOnce you do not use native replication of the appliance to replicate backuips, rathermore you use 2x Copy Jobs to store the backup to two different appliances, is that right? Is there a similar approach for EMC DD as well? Until now we used the built-in replication and this worked fine EXCEPT of the fact that we need to import the backups from the 2nd DD when needed due to the database redundant entry issue within Veeam.

Thank you very much for you helping hand and feedback, I appreciate

Cheers
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: HPStoreOnce and Veeam B&R

Post by foggy »

Hi Michael, I will address your second and third questions letting someone with more hands-on experience to comment on the first one.
Is this OK or a NO GO?
You definitely can try setting up StoreOnce as a primary target, keeping in mind answers in the thread you mention (especially since you do not seem to have other much better options), and monitor backup and restore performance.
Is there a Veeam way on how to move backup data to another location and map it again in Veeam?
Please refer to this article for instructions on moving backup files to another repository.
Based on the guide with HP StoreOnce you do not use native replication of the appliance to replicate backuips, rathermore you use 2x Copy Jobs to store the backup to two different appliances, is that right?
Right, Catalyst Copy is not currently supported, but it is on our roadmap.