Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
yowmemperor
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Merging of disk copies

Post by yowmemperor »

So I was looking over our backup infrastructure today, we have 21 restore points set for backups, and 21 restore points set for backup copies.

Checking today, there are between 60 and 90 restore points on the copies. Is there any way to individually invoke a merge on these items? Are there other options other than pointing to a different storage facility, which we do not have, to get these under control?

Thanks,
Matt
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Merging of disk copies

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Matt,

Individually invoking a merge is not possible. But you can do things: Please start with reviewing this KB: https://www.veeam.com/kb1990

If you believe that you are good, then please contact support. It might indeed be something that needs to be solved by them, and they will be much faster in solving the case.

As always, if you contact support, please post the case ID here and the follow-up after investigation by our engineers

Hope it helps
Mike
yowmemperor
Enthusiast

Post by yowmemperor »

Thanks. that link, leading to others, leads me to believe that an Active Full could potentially resolve this. From there, at some point, the older restore points will be deleted rather than merged. Is that correct? Thought I would ask before calling support.

Thanks,
Matt
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

It should indeed. But to be honest, I still feel a support call would be a good thing. It seems too much restore points and I wonder if something else is wrong. Could be as simple as a config switch
yowmemperor
Enthusiast

Post by yowmemperor »

Support said the easiest thing to do is run an Active Full. I will run this next opportunity our resources have and do my best to recall to report results here.

As far as the number of restore points go, I am all but certain it is an IO limitation on our hardware, no time for merge to process.

Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

OK. Crossing my fingers to see you post a good result here soon ;-)
yowmemperor
Enthusiast

Post by yowmemperor »

I am running an Active Full, restore points set on the backup copy have been adjusted to 40. As I am viewing completed copies, the restore points are not not reducing on completed items, which are now over 100. Veeam Case 03256947.

Any thoughts?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey Yowmemperor,

I believe this case is solved at this moment? Is that correct? What was the outcome for others here on the forums?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Might be a stupid question, but is any of the following options enabled:

- backup job: periodic full backup (active or synthetic one)
- backup copy job: keep the following restore points as full backups + read the entire point from source backup

Thanks!
yowmemperor
Enthusiast

Post by yowmemperor »

On the Backup Job: Yes on some jobs, not all
Backup Copy: No
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

yowmemperor wrote: Nov 13, 2018 9:21 pm I am running an Active Full, restore points set on the backup copy have been adjusted to 40. As I am viewing completed copies, the restore points are not not reducing on completed items, which are now over 100.
Older part of the chain (full + dependent increments) will be deleted once the new chain reaches the specified number of restore points.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

But something is still wrong with backup copies, though - a chain fails to transform or something. The root cause should be investigated properly by support team, so, kindly, keep working with them. Thanks!