Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

What consumes my licenses?

Post by Daniel N. »

I have a total of 30 licenses, of which 30 are consumed. I'm quite sure that we only have 29 items that require a license. I assume that our external user consumes the remaining license.

Is there a way to see what items consume a license in Veeam? And I'm not talking about the FAQ. I want to see exactly what users and mailboxes in my company are counted as licensed.

Thanks.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: What consumes my licenses?

Post by Polina »

Hi Daniel,

You can run the following script to get the list of protected users (which normally should match the number of consumed licenses):

Code: Select all

$org = Get-VBOOrganization -Name "nameofyourorganization"
$users = Get-VBOOrganizationUser -Organization $org -Type user 
$users | Where {$_.IsBackedUp -eq 'True'}
May I also ask which build you are running? Also, were there any users protected initially but excluded from the jobs later?

Thanks!
Daniel N.
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by Daniel N. »

Hi Polina,

thanks, this was helpful.

The script revealed that I miscounted and it should be only 28 users (not 29) that should be backed up, the remaining being Admin accounts and discovery mailbox.

The two addition licenses (No. 29 and No. 30) are consumend by the global administrator and the discovery mailbox.

The other accounts with admin roles are automatically excluded by Veeam, as I'd expect it after reading the FAQ.
The external user is also not backed up, as it should be.

The Version I'm using is 2.0.0.567. I don't know where to find a build number, if that's not it.

We backup the entire organization. There are no exclusions.
It's possible that the Global Administrator had a license assigned to him while we still used the evaluation license, but this shouldn't make a difference, or does it?
Tijz
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Mattijs Duivenvoorden

Post by Tijz »

Polina wrote: Nov 19, 2018 5:53 pm Hi Daniel,

You can run the following script to get the list of protected users (which normally should match the number of consumed licenses):

Code: Select all

$org = Get-VBOOrganization -Name "nameofyourorganization"
$users = Get-VBOOrganizationUser -Organization $org -Type user 
$users | Where {$_.IsBackedUp -eq 'True'}
May I also ask which build you are running? Also, were there any users protected initially but excluded from the jobs later?

Thanks!
Hi Polina, these commands also show the shared mailboxes, which don't consume a license (nor in Veeam nor in O365). Is there a way to only show the users who consume a license?
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 705 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Daniel,

First, 2.0.0.567 is your build number exactly (and you can always check it via the main menu -> Help and support -> About). Discovery mailboxes consuming licenses is a known bug in this version, so please install the cumulative patch KB2765 to have it fixed. Note though, that the fix comes in effect with the new backup jobs, meaning that the already consumed license will be revoked in 31 days. The good news is that you still have a grace period and can back up the required users while waiting for the license to be released.

Your Global Administrator account could be licensed if it also has a mailbox which is backed up.