Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Feature request - time travel

Post by ejenner »

Unless there is already a quick way of doing this it would be nice to have a time travel button for either delaying all jobs by X-number of hours or bringing them forward or rescheduling all jobs for another time. As a temporary change which will move the schedule for all jobs on a B&R server.

The reason I've seen this as a requirement is that we powered-down a whole server room for maintenance this weekend and I would've liked to have brought forward all my jobs with one button. Instead I had to go through (I've got more than 100) and pick out jobs which I could manually run. I don't think I got them all. I also executed the jobs out of order as it would've taken too long to check the schedules and decide when to run each job ad-hoc.

It wouldn't be practical to change each job to a different time temporarily. Then change them back when the server room is back online.

A single button which allows you to skew the whole schedule as a means of working around an outage of this kind should be easy to add and very useful for this scenario.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Feature request - time travel

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Thank you for your detailed request! What do you think about having some extra settings for retries, something like "Retry once powered on"? Sometimes there might be situations when you cannot predict the duration of the outage precisely enough, or several groups of VMs (we are talking about VMs, right?) are going to be inaccessible for different periods.

P.S. Meanwhile, you can use PowerShell to perform bulk edits.

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

In this case I would have brought the whole schedule forward. So instead of my first jobs starting at 6pm I could have asked for them to begin at 2pm. For just one day I could have done a complete backup cycle 4 hours earlier than usual.
ejenner
Veteran

Post by ejenner »

Looks like bulk-edit wouldn't work as you'd still have to specify the time individually for each job? You can't just say all jobs will start 5 hours earlier than usual.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Do you jobs have specific execution time? Say, daily at "DateTime"? If so, it should not be that hard to check this value via PowerShell and modify according to your needs (executed 2 hours earlier). Thanks!