Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
arsprod
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Spiegel

replication to nfs

Post by arsprod »

I've read some other posts that complain about the speed of backup/replication to nfs shares, but it also seems this issue was resolved with esxi 4.1. I'm running esxi 4.1 and am getting replication to local datashares in the range of 24-30 mb/s. To the nfs share it's in the 500-700 kb/s. The nfs share is a physical win 2008 r2 machine. What can I do?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: replication to nfs

Post by Gostev »

Not sure what you are saying here. Veeam B&R does not support backup to NFS share directly at all. If you are talking about replication only, and NFS being your primary storage on target ESXi, then probably you have some issues with it. Try uploading some large file to it via Datastore Browser, and see what speed do you get. I can guess it will be equally low.

I have deleted the error summary on the separate issue you have added, because it is completely different issue. And more importantly, please review the rules of posting technical support issues provided when you click New Topic.

Thanks.
arsprod
Enthusiast

Post by arsprod »

Sorry for the lack of clarification - yes, replicating to nfs datastore on esxi. When I copy a file directly to that nfs datastore I'm getting about 14mb/s. The best I can get for veeam replica is about 750kb/s.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

OK, the speed of direct file copy to NFS storage does not matter, as the data does not go through ESX in this case. Try uploading a file to the target datastore via Datastore Browser in vSphere Client (this would be similar to how our replication works). Thanks.
arsprod
Enthusiast

Post by arsprod »

guess I wasn't clear again - that's what I did, file copy from iscsi datastore to the nfs datastore. I calculated the speed based on the file size and time it took to copy it.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Aaron, could you please clarify if you get the same performance rate for all VMs being replicated?

The processing rate you see in the backup console doesn't really reflect the real-life performance. Please look through this very topic for a detailed explanation: Processing rate from 70 to 400 MB/s
arsprod
Enthusiast

Post by arsprod »

Vitaly, thanks - that's actually quite helpful, though I won't admit to understanding it! The test run machine was relatively small - 9gb. I'm running a real replica on a real vm now and getting 1mb/s. Though still not great and seemingly slower than backups, I obviously need to do some more testing before making the declaration that it's slow.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

arsprod wrote:guess I wasn't clear again - that's what I did, file copy from iscsi datastore to the nfs datastore. I calculated the speed based on the file size and time it took to copy it.
Copying between datastores is still not the same though, as data path is very different in this case (uses highly efficient data mover). Again, what you need to test is uploading a file from your Veeam Backup server to the target datastore via Datastore Browser in vSphere Client. This would be similar to how our replication works. Thanks.