Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
NetAdMBC
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Slow merges

Post by NetAdMBC »

I backup about 50 VMs to a 15 TB NAS nightly. Until recently, I'd leave in the evening, the backups would run, in the morning I'd come in and they'd all be finished. In the last week or so, however, the merge process has gotten extremely slow. For example - I have a 36GB VM, tonight the backup data says read 5.1 GB, transferred 2.1 GB in about 10 minutes. However, the merge has been going on for over 95 minutes, and other jobs are stacking up behind it, running slowly. Right now, I have eight active jobs going, six of which are in "merge" status.

I haven't made any infrastucture changes. The only thing I can point to that seems pertinent is that my NAS tells me it about 90% full, so the jobs all end with that warning. Conceivably, a lack of free space might slow down the jobs - but 90% full on 15 TB is 1.5 TB available, and no single backup is near that size.

What else should I be looking at here? What would cause this?
Alex Uryumtsev
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Alexander Uryumtsev

Re: Slow merges

Post by Alex Uryumtsev »

Hi,

Could you provide me with your bottlenecks statistics for your backup jobs. This information would help us figure out which backup component has poor performance.

Also I would recommend you to contact our support team so they can make a deep dive analyze through your logs. This approach would be the most efficient for your case.

Once you contact the support team, please provide me your ticket number so I can track your progress.

If you have any questions left, let me know.

BR,
Alex
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Slow merges

Post by foggy »

A couple of questions more: is this job configured with forever forward incremental backup method? Did merge occur faster recently or the job has just reached the specified number of restore points (so no merge did occur prior to that)?